Running Neutral in 12/4 Romex for 2 Pole Switch

Old 09-01-19, 11:18 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running Neutral in 12/4 Romex for 2 Pole Switch

Hi Everyone, new poster here. I was hoping to get some advice on the following:

I have a two gang switch box that has two double pole switches in it. Each switch is on a different circuit (but each pole on the same switch is on the same circuit) and supplied with a 12/3 romex. Each double pole switch therefore has one line coming in and two loads going out (the white wire is being used as one of these so there is no neutral for either switch).

These two 12/3 romexs are from a nearby accessible (unfinished basement) junction box with four romex 12/3 romexs coming in the neutrals for each set of two 12/3 romexs are pigtailed together and do not go up to the wall box. The lines are also pigtailed and then head up to the wall switch. The loads obviously go up separate. So what they've done is put two 12/3 romexs on a double pole switch by ditching the neutral and using the white wire as a load line above.

I need to add one neutral to each switch (to add double pole smart switches to each). My question is, is there any problem with me simply running two sets of 12/4 or 12/2/2 romex instead of two sets of 12/3 up to the double gang wall switch and tying the neutral into the separate pigtailed neutrals that are now bypassing the switch? Therefore, the new wires would carry line, two loads, and a neutral (and ground) instead of just the line and two loads (one of which was on the white wire) and a ground.

These are 15A circuits and 3 of the 4 switches are just powering lights. One is powering two switched outdoor GFCI outlets. As I said, each double pole switch is on it's own circuit.

I appreciate very much anybody taking the time to weigh in. Please let me know if I haven't provided enough information or should clarify. Thank you.

Old 09-01-19, 03:42 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, what makes you think they are 2 pole switches, can you post some pics of what you have there?
Geo

Old 09-01-19, 09:06 PM
M
Hi, my apologies. I mean they are dual switches. So two switches per one gang. They are single pole.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 09-02-19, 04:33 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
is there any problem with me simply running two sets of 12/4 or 12/2/2 romex instead of two sets of 12/3 up to the double gang wall switch and tying the neutral into the separate pigtailed neutrals that are now bypassing the switch?
NO problem. Just keep the two circuit neutrals separate. Connect all the grounds from both circuits together.

m1williams voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-19, 05:14 PM
M
Thank you joed. I didn't think there was a problem, but I'm afraid of what I don't know. Appreciate the response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: