Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

single-pole switch replacement with 3-way. Unconventional suggestions needed

Old 09-01-19, 08:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a single pole switch with 4 lights, that I want to replace with a 3-way switch. Power currently runs to the switch. I don't have a way (without drilling a lot of holes, which is really not an option) to run 14/3 wire to the desired location for the 2nd switch. Is it possible to add the other 3-way switch to the end of the light run without rewiring all the lights with 14/3. What would that wiring scenario look like? If not feasible, what are my other options?

Old 09-01-19, 09:18 PM
A
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
You cannot run the cable from the second switch to a different light in the chain of lights interconnectd with 14-2 cable..

Look into an electronic wireless 3 way switching kit. Example: Skylink cat. no. SK-8. The remote switch for the second locaton would be battery powered. You would replace the existing first switch with the electronic 3 way load switch that comes in the kit.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
That Skylink piece is a good price point. I use the Lutron Caseta switch and the Maestro dimmer with the Pico remote switch. The Lutron system runs appox $65. You can get it in wifi for around $100.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: