SharkJet US series (S15SHJ-6-S1) motor wiring mix up.

Old 09-02-19, 06:42 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SharkJet US series (S15SHJ-6-S1) motor wiring mix up.

So I'm not proud of this, normally I'd snap a photo but anyway my pool pump has a crack in it and it's leaking bad so I took it apart to use a fiberglass repair kit to fix the small crack from inside and out.

Anyway I ended up thinking "It's 3 wires, and Green is easy I can remember where black and white go..."

Well an hour later my brain didn't remember and felt the fool

I have black / white / green and 3 connectors L1, L2 and Green. Searching the web for the manual just gets me parts orders, looking at other posts I can find some saying White to L2, Black to L1 and the reverse so I have no idea.

Here is the photo, L1 is the the connector with Black on it(Nearest the Green screw) and L2 is the other.

Because it's electrical I didn't want to just say "Hey L1 has black on it must be for the black wire"

Attached Images  
Old 09-02-19, 06:53 AM
T
And some people say "Doesn't matter" because I'm clueless about electrical I'd rather not risk it. But I prefer to learn and fix things myself where I can electrical and motors is the hardest for me to learn.

Old 09-02-19, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Since it is a motor it really doesn't matter which wire, black or white, connects to L1 or L2 because you are energizing the coils inside the motor. There is no risk of wiring it one way or another unless the motor is DC. (which I doubt)

There is also likely a label on the side of the motor with a diagram.

TKL32 voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-19, 07:12 AM
T
Thanks Tolyn for the quick reply.

YOu are right there is a label on the side it was covered by sponge for the motor I removed it and it says:

L1 - Line
L2 - Grounded Line (115v Circuit)

So that line's up with your answer I believe Now to glue that sponge back on.

Old 09-02-19, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Yup. IF following the label the neutral (White) goes to L2 and the hot (black) goes to L1. Green to ground screw.

TKL32 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: