Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to extend an electrical connection from inside to outside

Old 10-01-19, 12:06 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to install a security camera right outside of an exterior door. I have minimal home electrical experience. However, I do have some.

The closest electrical source I can see that I have is an outlet right next to the door, on the inside. Can I tap into this outlet and then run the new wire outside? If I can, what do I have to do?

See the pictures below for the location where I am wanting the electrical outside and then the reciprocal on the inside. For the exterior electrical, the security camera will need to be hardwired.

Old 10-01-19, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't see any pictures. Follow this...... How-to-insert-pictures.

By security camera..... do you mean a wireless camera that needs AC power ?
Usually those have a wall wart that needs to be plugged in. Sometimes it's easier to plug that in inside and just run low voltage wiring.

You could remove the receptacle to see what you are working with but there are a few issue. First is the wall is insulated so you will need a fish tape or snake. The box will probably be fastened to a stud which will require you to fish thru a small hole in the top of the box. All very do-able and as electricians we do it all the time. A bit more difficult for a first timer.

Typically you'd cut the hole for the box on the outside of the house in the same bay as the receptacle. Then you'd fish from the inside box to the upper hole.

After we see your pictures.... we can offer more detailed help.

Old 10-01-19, 04:08 PM
P
Thanks for the help. I uploaded pictures, but it gives an error saying I have exceeded the attachment limit of 10 gb. I don't see anyway of deleting old attachments. Any idea?

Old 10-01-19, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
You need to resize your pictures. You are only allotted 10mb of storage. You were well over that. I went back and resized your pictures. You're at 760kb.You've got room now. Try to size your pictures around 600x600 which is usually around 75kb file size.

pfar54 voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-19, 05:51 AM
P
Thanks! See pictures below:

Attached Images   
Old 10-02-19, 06:25 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I see a few ways to do this:

1) Assuming there's a small connector on the camera power cord, I would drill a 1/2" hole about 1" above and 1" to the left/right of the receptacle from inside to outside. Don't drill through a stud, and go a little to the left/right so you're less likely to hit the wires in the wall. Then simply run the cable out through the hole and up the siding. Caulk the hole and staple (or wiremold the wire if you really want) and you're done!

2) Install a new GFI protected receptacle on the outside, opposite the inside receptacle. I would use a weatherproof box mounted on the siding (or cut a rectangular hole and mount a old work box), wire it into the existing receptacle circuit. Add an in-use 'bubble' cover, and plug in there.

Old 10-02-19, 07:05 AM
P
This is the camera I will be installing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an outlet/receptacle outside, but it is on a wood pole in the middle of the deck. This I am wanting installed flush on the siding.

Old 10-02-19, 12:08 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Now if it is plugged in outside, it would not take much for an intruder to simply unplug it. That may or may not be an issue to think about but I thought I would add it anyway. That is certainly not a hidden camera and there would be no doubt what it is, even from fairly far away.

Old 10-02-19, 12:32 PM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Looks like vinyl siding so get the correct mount so it does not look like crap.

Old 10-02-19, 12:48 PM
P
This camera doesn't plug in. It needs to be hardwired.

Old 10-02-19, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the hardwired version is the way to go. You'd need a cut in box for outside or a plastic block. You'd need to remove the plate from the inside receptacle. Using an ice pick or thin screwdriver..... locate which side the stud is on. Your box outside needs to be in the same stud bay.

I came across a video that is exactly what you are doing.
Your box outside is higher and there won't be a receptacle but the installation is identical.
Video

Old 10-02-19, 05:19 PM
P
Thanks, that video helped a lot. I will post a picture of the material I formerly purchased for installing this from the existing receptacle. I bought a box, but circular. I'm hoping I can use some of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: