Question about AFCI Protection for Kitchen

Old 10-18-19, 04:31 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about AFCI Protection for Kitchen

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. It was the original build from 1986, and there were no GFCI outlets installed. I added GFCI protection, but I overlooked the option of using GFCI/AFCI receptacles. I was not aware that they existed. These are my questions:

What is the preferred way to add AFCI protection? Is it better to do it at the breaker?

Will an AFCI receptacle provide upstream protection, or is that even needed?

Is there any benefit to an AFCI receptacle with an AFCI breaker, or is that not a good idea?

My understanding is that I need AFCI for the small appliance circuits, dishwasher, garbage disposal, etc. Iím just trying to understand the recommended way to do this. I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-19, 05:12 PM
T
Received 44 Votes on 43 Posts
I just went through this exercise on my own home. First off, the latest code demands afci protection on all 120v interior circuits. Your local jurisdiction may not require 2017 code compliance, however.
Second, dishwashers now require GFCI protection, again per 2017.
I went with panel mount afci breakers. Acfi recepts cannot protect from upstream defects. So, code or not, afci receptacles make no sense to me. My dishwasher got a combo afci/gfci breaker, since that is about the only option with a hardwired device.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-19, 10:44 AM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
All these newer AFCI and GFCI protection requirements are making it pretty expensive to wire a home these days. As a side note, the 2020 NEC will be requiring electric range receptacles to be GFCI protected if the receptacle is installed within 6 feet of a sink.

Old 10-19-19, 12:43 PM
T
Received 44 Votes on 43 Posts
So true on the cost. A dozen years ago, the load center panel cost more that the breakers it contained. Now, you may be looking at around a 10x difference the other way around.