Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Extending wires to add one more light to the same light switch

Old 10-28-19, 08:37 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to get a confirmation if what I'm planning to do is a correct way of doing it.

What I have is a 3-way switch that I've connected to the light fixture (existing wiring in 80 yo house). Now I want to add one more light to the same switch.

Here is how existing wiring looks like in the box:

There are 2 "bundles" (not the right term) of wires (marked with squares - one for hot and one for neutral). The light fixture #1 is wired (thin white and red lines) using hot that comes from the switch and neutral via pig tails.

What i'm thinking of doing is to add longer cable (shown in yellow) - for neutral to the Neutral bundle. And for hot create a new bundle and wire light #1 with a new pig tail.

Am i doing it right or going totally screw things up?

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  12.0 KB

Old 10-28-19, 09:35 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Looks like you are on the right path.

I know it's common to exclude ground wires from drawings, but if your existing circuit isn't grounded (as is possible in an 80 year old house), by code, you're not supposed to extend it.

Old 10-28-19, 09:55 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Also looks OK to me, you are basically just paralleling the existing light.
You can do it in the switch box or go from light to light whichever is easiest for you.

Old 10-28-19, 11:07 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys!

i didn't draw the grounding wires. But I've tested over the weekend and the grounding is working off the metal box, all wires that come to the existing metal box are in the metal flexible conduits. And I'm planning to put the new cable into the new metal flexible conduit as well plus metal box for the light #2.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: