Add GFI - Help Isolate Wires

Old 11-07-19, 07:51 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Add GFI - Help Isolate Wires

I plan to add a gfi to an outside box. When I opened the box, I have 2 Blacks, 1 Red, and 1 White.

The only line that I believe is active is the black to the left. When I check voltage on the Black and the white I get 121 volts.

What are the other lines? Can I cap the others and add a receptacle using hot black, white and ground?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-19, 08:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
How are the wires connected now? Label everything before taking anything apart, so you could put it all back together the way it was.

What is the voltage between every combination of wires two at a time? (Disconnect wires before testing voltage, thus the need to label them first.)

Are any of the voltages different when you flip switches nearby or inside the house?

Was there a receptacle of some other kind there before?

Normally you would connect hot and neutral (white) to the "line" terminals of the ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle unit and leave the "load" terminals empty at first. Then test it to be sure it works correctly. Sometimes the reset button does not work if the power or breaker is off.

Old 11-07-19, 09:32 AM
J
Received 535 Upvotes on 437 Posts
No way to know from here what the other wires are for.
Some of things they could be are
Other outdoor receptacles.
outdoor lighting.
sprinkler system power.

Old 11-07-19, 10:19 AM
S
The box never had a receptacle attached to it. It is located next to pool pump. When I check each wire only the black wire to the left touching each wire separately reads 110 or so. The others read small amounts like 10.

I tried every switch and the only live wire with my Non-Contact Voltage Tester that buzzes is the black line. It's not imperative that I make this a plug, just be nice to have one close to use with the grill fire started.

So if I can use the black and white to gfi, what is line and what is load?

Old 11-07-19, 11:12 AM
J
Received 535 Upvotes on 437 Posts
If this was a pool pump it is possible this was 240 volts across the red and black at one time. What size breaker feeds this box?
If the breaker is 15 or 20 amp it should be no problem to install a receptacle here.

Old 11-07-19, 11:32 AM
S
Joel, you are probably correct, there was another pump for the cleaner. I will use my cable tracer to trace back over the weekend and find out what breaker they go to..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: