chest freezer and mini fridge same outlet?

Old 11-11-19, 06:18 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chest freezer and mini fridge same outlet?

Hi,

I am looking at moving a mini wine fridge in from the garage for the winter into the basement next to a chest freezer. There are no available outlets for the fridge besides the one that that the freezer is already plugged into. There are a few other lights and outlets on this circuit but nothing drawing a lot of power.

My only other option might be this. In this area there is a line from the panel to the dishwasher which is hardwired into the dishwasher upstairs, there is nothing else on this circuit. I haven't pulled out the dishwasher to see its requirements but it is at least 13 years old if that helps. Is it ok to add a junction box/outlet to this circuit?

Thanks

Old 11-11-19, 06:46 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Tell us the amperage of the mini fridge, the chest freezer, and the chest freezer branch circuit.

Old 11-11-19, 08:12 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I've a medium chest freezer and full size fridge plugged into the same receptacle for years in my basement with no issues.

Old 11-11-19, 08:29 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The mini fridge is 1.1 amps, the chest freezer is pretty old and the stickers are worn off of it so I have no idea, i'd guess it is a medium/large freezer. The circuit is 15A with 14/2 wire, there are a couple of lights and 2 other receptacles on this circuit, anything plugged into the other outlets are minor such as a small fan or laptop charger.

Last edited by mylobear; 11-11-19 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-19, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Chest freezers draw little power so you should be ok. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put one of those power failure alarms in that circuit to guard against a breaker trip. An example below. There are many. Power fail alarm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: