Modifying these garage lights to operate in series?

Old 11-15-19, 08:12 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Modifying these garage lights to operate in series?

Hey guys. I just purchased several of these led garage lights from HD.

shorturl.at/elFNS

They each have their own plug. I am wanting to cut the plug and wire them all together in series. The way I think I should do this is..

Plug to junction box > junction box to light & also wire out to next box > junction box to light & also wire out to next box > and this repeated until I have them all wired up. They should only pull .3 amps each, so by my calculations, six wired together should be fine for 12/2.

Do I have this right?

Old 11-15-19, 08:34 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I would just install receptacles in the junction boxes and plug them in.

Old 11-15-19, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Why are you using a URL shortener ?? Just post the Home Depot link.

Old 11-16-19, 11:18 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
OT: Caution: "Series" is a buzz word in the electrical and electronic trades/industries.

The opposite of "series" is "parallel" or "multiple."

When the circuit is wired from one outlet box to another and so on (common wiring practice) it is often said to be daisy chained.

Individual/different light sets, appliances, devices, etc. are almost never wired in series. Individual lamps within light sets, notably in Christmas light sets, may be wired in series.

In normal parallel wiring you connect the hot(s) to make a complete possibly branched path (independent of neutral and ground). Then you connect the neutrals to make a complete possibly branched path following the same routing as the hot wires' path. (some path exceptions apply). A connection to the hot path and a connection to the neutral path is made for each item or device using jumper wires (pigtails) if needed. However switches are wired in series with the things they control and a switch is never connected to the neutral path or network.

In series wiring you take the neutral of one item and connect it to the hot of the next item. You connect the neutral of that item to the hot of the next item, and so on. (Only the neutral of the last item connected to the neutral of the power source is called neutral.) If you cut the plugs off of individual light sets intending to hard wire them together it is easy to make a mistake and wire them in series when they should not be and then they won't work.

There are a few projects where you wire things normally wired in parallel in series yourself but these projects are not for novices.

Attached Images  

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-16-19 at 12:02 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: