Receptacle troubleshooting

Old 11-26-19, 08:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Receptacle troubleshooting

I have a hallway receptacle that was reading 120V between neutral and ground. The outlet is fed through a ceiling light which isn't working. Neither is the outlet. The adjacent room has a MultiWire Branch Circuit that I had completely disconnected years ago. I had turned off one of the breakers and didn't realize a second breaker was connected (the breaker panel did not have the two breakers tied together).

Now I am realizing that these hall outlets are on the circuit which had never been deactivated - aside from the neutral seemingly not returning current.

The outlets aren't part of the MultiWire Branch Circuit (as far as I can tell - no red wire), but with the MultiWire Branch Circuit disconnected these outlets (and a closet might and attic fan) all do not function. Is there any reason having a disconnected MultiWire Branch Circuit sound effect the other breaker on that circuit in areas where it is just a normal two wire?

Will try to post some schematics (working on them still) if my question isn't descriptive enough enighh to help generate any idess.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 11-26-19, 09:13 PM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
120 volts neutral to ground is indicating an open neutral somewhere.

Old 11-26-19, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,987 Upvotes on 3,579 Posts
Is there any reason having a disconnected MultiWire Branch Circuit sound effect the other breaker on that circuit in areas where it is just a normal two wire?
Not quite sure that makes any sense.

A multiwire circuit is two circuits sharing a common neutral. Shutting off one circuit breaker only will not affect the other circuit. You don't need to see a red wire for a mwbc. Your problem now is you need to find out where the neutral is open. If you know everything on the dead circuit..... start checking the closet device to the panel. You may end up checking every device to find the problem.

Old 11-27-19, 02:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
If you disconnect the shared neutral it will effect the other circuit.

it is possible that the mwbc split into 2 circuits and only 2 wire cables were used after the split.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: