Three-way switch wiring mystery

Old 12-09-19, 06:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Three-way switch wiring mystery

I just moved in South Carolina to a home that was built in the 60s, with several additions since then. I have a set of three-way switches to control a light fixture. One day the light stopped working. I've replaced the fixture and both switches but still nothing. I can't figure out what to do next. Each switch location has a three-wire lead coming in (red, white, and black, with red going to the common on each). None of wires are hot. There is no incoming power and no wiring going to the light fixture in either of the switch boxes, so I assume there's another junction box somewhere that everything comes together, and I'm afraid there's a short or disconnect in there. However, I have no idea where to look for such a junction box. Does that sound like a possibility, and would you have any ideas on where to start looking for the mystery junction box?

Old 12-09-19, 07:42 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Sounds like everything originates in the light box. You need to tell us about the wires in the fixture junction box.

Old 12-09-19, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Remember..... a short will trip a circuit breaker. You have an open.
Pictures are also very helpful...... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 12-10-19, 06:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inside the light box is just a two-wire lead (black & white + ground). I will try to post some pictures soon.

Old 12-10-19, 08:34 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The three wire cables to the switches and the two wire cable to the light fixture need to meet somewhere. You need to find that point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: