Repurposing a circuit

Old 01-03-20, 09:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repurposing a circuit

Okay, that is a strange title but it is the best way I can think of heading this request for guidave,
Here is what I have. A older colonial built in 1927. Sometime around the late 60"s a whole house fan was installed. We haven't used it in years and desperately in need of some lights in the attic. Think one incadescent bulb in a 36 foot attic. WE (I) will be removing the fan and
I want to take the circuit, for the fan which is controlled by a switch in the upper hallway , and have it feed a couple of shop lights and maybe a outlet in the attic. NO additiona switches on the circuit. I am trying to decide to hardwire the lights or use plug in LED shoplight. Most likely the plug ins' because they will be easier to replace on failure.
At present the fan is on a 20 amp feed that is a home run from the panelbox in the basement and the only thing on that circuit. All of this is two wire 12 gauge Bx cable

I have traced the feed to come up the walls in the attic and the BX two wire from the switch also come up and into the attic ,( I know duh!) but then they enter the remote cutoff switch that is required on these fans. I want to keep the switch in the hallway to power some lights that I intend to install. These lights will then be controlled by the switch in the hallway . So before I start disassembling things here , what would be my wiring diagram to do this ?

At present ICRS has hit and I want to double check my thinking(?) !! Do I use 12 gauge 3 wire for the new circuit with all whites together with new wire black to feed panel black and new red (traveler) to the present switch black ?
These (red and black) then connect to the new outlets with one on the upper screw and one on lower with the white on the silver? As I said long time since I had to do this and ICRS! Hate to give several big bucks for a simple repupose, so any guidance accepted gratefully.

Old 01-03-20, 10:22 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Do you want the receptacles to unswitched? Or do you want everything off when you leave?
Is this circuit grounded? If not, you can't extend or modify it?

Old 01-03-20, 11:36 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joed.....

.....Thanks for your reply. I should have been a little more precise but thought I was getting a little long there. and writing on a little screen can be really brain taxing.
In answer to your reply questions;
-I want the outlets to be switched and controlled by the present fan switch in the hallway so that when we are done there is no power to outlets. As I posted I believe I will go with the plug lights as they are easier to replace when they fail ( and they will!)

-The original Bx's are grounded.
I have been considering just removing the fan wires from the remote switch and connecting the new circuit in its stead leaving all other connections as they are.. That way there is a backup cutoff.
Any opinions on that ? It is Just a thought .

Old 01-03-20, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The existing black will be one side of the switch. The new 12-2 black will be the other side of the switch. All whites splice through. All grounds splice through and to any metal boxes. Also ground the receptacles.

Old 01-03-20, 01:37 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, you can remove the thermal device, just splice the wires through in the box and remove it.
Geo

Old 01-03-20, 02:44 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
For what it's worth, I would suggest using flush mount fixtures like these in the attic:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GDYPV7
Cheaper than tube lights and cast quite a bit of light. Plus, they are thin so they won't reduce the headroom.

Of course, plug-in shop lights are fine too if you'd rather go that direction.

Old 01-03-20, 04:15 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I have been considering just removing the fan wires from the remote switch and connecting the new circuit in its stead leaving all other connections as they are.
That will be fine. Then the existing switch in the hall will turn everything off, including any receptacles you install. You can add switches to any lights you install. If you forget to turn them off the switch in the hall below will them off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: