Two manual transfer switches from one generator

Old 12-21-21, 08:45 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two manual transfer switches from one generator

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've searched all around for posts regarding what I'm i'm trying to do but haven't found anything for this specific situtation. I'm a bit suprised actually because it seems like it would be a common practice, but maybe it's not possible. Here's what I would like to know:

I'm planning to purchase a 15kw portable backup generator to power some specific circuits in my house with a 50amp manual transfer switch utilizing the 50amp plug on the generator (the important stuff would be powered here). A standard setup obviously, and I'm comforable with that if that is all I can do. What I'd like to know is, is it possible to utilize the 30amp plug on the generator as well to feed an aditional 30amp manual transfer switch to power a handful of other circuits (would be mostly lighting). I know on the generator side you can use both outlets (according to westinghouse). Is this a problem on the house side? Thanks, appreciate the input.

Some additional info:
Location - Oakland county Michigan
House was built in 2015
Single panel 200amp service

Old 12-21-21, 09:34 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
The switch turning on either sub-panel (50A/30A) must first disconnect the power company voltage at the main breaker. Since this is physically impossible with 2 sub-panels, you can't do it.

Kahnundrum voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-21, 09:49 AM
K
Thanks beelzebob, that must be why I haven't seen anything using that configuration.

Old 12-21-21, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
to power a handful of other circuits (would be mostly lighting).
Aren't these circuits already in the main panel ?

Old 12-21-21, 10:16 AM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
The switch turning on either sub-panel (50A/30A) must first disconnect the power company voltage at the main breaker. Since this is physically impossible with 2 sub-panels, you can't do it.
By using a transfer switch the power would be disconnected. That is the purpose of a transfer switch.
Can you be more specific about what type of transfer switches you are considering. There are switches that transfer whole house or panel power and there are switches that you move certain circuits over.

You also need to check the 30 amp receptatcle to verify it is 120/240 and just 120 volts.

Old 12-21-21, 10:39 AM
K
Hi Joe, yeah, that didn't quite seem right as I actually just got a different answer from the manufacturer providing the transfer panels (They said it could be done provided the switch, cords and outlets were separate, which they would be) . The 50amp Transfer switch would be a Reliance Controls Pro/Tran 2 - 50-Amp (120/240V 10-Circuit). These move specific circuits, each with their own utility/generator switch. The second (if possible), would be a Reliance Controls Pro/Tran 2 - 30-Amp (120/240V 6-Circuit).

Old 12-21-21, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
You asked about transfer switches.
A transfer panel and transfer switch are two completely different items.

You cannot use two transfer switches.
A transfer switch transfers power to the existing panel.

You can use two transfer panels.
But why.... why not transfer the generator to the main panel ?

Old 12-21-21, 11:02 AM
K
You asked about transfer switches.
A transfer panel and transfer switch are two completely different items.

You cannot use two transfer switches.
A transfer switch transfers power to the existing panel.

You can use two transfer panels.
But why.... why not transfer the generator to the main panel ?

Sorry for the confusion, Reliance controls must call their transfer panels transfer switches. I was going off of that. As for powering the enire main panel, the generator I'm getting isn't quite beefy enough the power the entire house, and I don't really want to take the leap to get a "whole home" generator. From pricing things out, this seems to be the most bang for buck, so I'm only going to power the essentials.

Old 12-21-21, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
You can power your main panel directly from the generator you have.
You can turn off the circuits you don't want active or need.

Since my house is all gas.... I transfer a 5k generator directly into the panel.
I don't shut off any circuits except central A/C if it's the summer.

Old 12-21-21, 02:44 PM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
As long as you realize you do not get 80 amps by combining the two receptacles. Anything you use on the 30 deducts from what can come out of the 50 amp.

Old 12-22-21, 08:09 AM
K
As long as you realize you do not get 80 amps by combining the two receptacles. Anything you use on the 30 deducts from what can come out of the 50 amp.
I do. The largest 50amp transfer panel I can find seems to max out at 10 circuits. I know I have some wattage to spare so I wanted to add some additional lighting circuits with the 30amp 6-circuit panel. My main concern with all of this was just to make sure having both wouldn't be considered paralleling.

Old 12-22-21, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Basically you are paralleling two transfer panels but because they are standalone they operate independently.

Old 02-06-23, 05:52 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Hello all,

My apologies up front if I am using the terminologies incorrectly. I am obviously not a electrician or anything close to being a electrician. I am just a handy DIY man

I know this thread is old, but I came across this since my situation is just like OP (I think). At my house, there're 2 breaker boxes (big one in garage and smaller one in upstairs storage room). These breaker boxes don't have any shut-off/main breaker, just individual breakers. Outside I have a main breaker box (that connect to street power). Within this main breaker box, there's a main breaker for the entire house, there're 2 x 35Amp breakers for the outdoor A/C's and there's a 90Amp breaker that goes upstairs sub-breaker/panel (this one feeds upstairs bedrooms and 1 section of downstairs).

I've installed a Reliance manual transfer switch (at least that's what it's called) just like OP (Reliance Controls Pro/Tran 2 - 50-Amp) in the garage for most of the downstairs . It's currently working fine and when there's a power outage I can power most of downstairs.

Just like OP. Since my Westinghouse also has a 30Amp input/receptacle. I am thinking to power the essential circuits in upstairs as well using the same generators by installing another 30Amp manual transfer switch in the upstairs subpanel/subbreaker (Reliance Controls Pro/Tran 2 - 30-Amp).

Before I spend money for parts and efforts to run all the wires (it's very hard but doable) and set this up, I'd like to know if this is doable? Of course I am not planning to run both manual transfers switches full load (80 Amp total) at the same time. I just want to have some flexibility such as during the outage we spend time downstairs and when it's bedtime we shut off most of everything downstairs (except for refrigerators, etc.) then go upstairs for bed (water heater, upstairs furnace and bedrooms are all upstairs subpanel/subbreaker).

Will this work? Is it safe to do so?

BTW since the A/C breakers are outside, I am not using any 240V from these manual transfer switches. Everything will be 120V (we have a choice to do so with these Reliance transfer switches)

OP, did you do this and is it working for you?

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks so much in advance
HT

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: