AFCI vs GFCI vs regular Circuit breaker.

Old 09-23-22, 12:42 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFCI vs GFCI vs regular Circuit breaker.

Hello everyone,

I am finishing my basement and have passed the rough electrical inspection. I am trying to figure out that which kind of circuit breaker i need. See below table with information.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

Old 09-23-22, 01:07 PM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Local codes can vary, so you should run your list past your inspector. They will likely want to see the bath fan on a GFCI circuit. For sure if the fan is above a shower or tub. IIWM, I'd put it on a GFCI regardless of location in bathroom. Otherwise, your list looks good.

Old 09-24-22, 12:03 AM
A
Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts
I agree with CarbideTippped as far as what type of protection your circuits will require as in AFCI, GFCI or dual function. Besides what the NEC will state (the version your AhJ is on) your AHJ may require additional things other than what is dictated in the NEC. Always best to check with the inspector. They do like when you ask them questions like this.

Also, since the price of 15 or 20amp breakers are usually the same or just about the same you might as well use 20amp breakers on the circuits that you have used 12 gauge wire on. That is as long as all of the wire on that circuit is 12 gauge. That will give you more capacity on the circuit. You can still used 15amp receptacles on the 20amp circuit. They are rated for 20amp pass thru.

The other thing I would have done or if you can still do is break your lighting up onto at least two circuits. This way if there is ever an issue with the lighting circuit you will have another circuit with lights so you are not in the dark. If you are only having one then a floor lamp would do plugged into a receptqacle if you do have an issue with the lighting circuit.

Old 09-24-22, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Likes on 559 Posts
It will all depend on what code cycle your location is using. The newest 2020 NEC requires all receptacles installed in a basement to be GFCI protected. Earlier versions require AFCI protection at different code cycles. Bedrooms in 2002, everything except kitchens and bathrooms in 2008, kitchens in 2014, etc. 2020 NEC requires receptacles in all locations that are living spaces to be AFCI protected.

If you do end up using GFCI breakers or combo GFCI/AFCI breakers you do not need to install a GFCI device in other locations downstream.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: