Portable Power Station

Old 12-23-22, 11:15 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable Power Station

I'm in Ontario. Looking for a portable Power Station I can use to power my outdoor gas furnace (motor and controls) in the event of a power outage. Its a 240 Volt output I need.
I measured the running amps of the furnace and its 1.5 amps on each leg. My intent is to locate the power station inside next to the panel and I would
install a manual transfer switch . The problem is, I can several 120 volt units that have the proper approvals (ULC ,CSA etc) but I can't find a 240 Volt
output unit. They are available on the likes of AliBaba but I refuse to use them. I would also consider buying an Inverter + Battery but I have the same issue
with 240 VAC units hard to find.

Old 12-23-22, 12:05 PM
B
Received 286 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Have you checked the web for portable generators. You never locate the portable generator inside because the engine emits carbon monoxide when it is running. Normally the portable generator is outside and the furnace is inside the dwelling. Could you provide your location and what you are trying to accomplish?

Old 12-23-22, 12:57 PM
W
My Furnace is an outdoor unit. I don't want or need anything as large or expensive as a generator. The portable power stations I've seen are all Indoor (which is what I want). I live in southern Ontario and as mentioned I want this power station to be for one purpose only. Providing 240 Volt power to Heating side of outdoor HVAC unit.

Old 12-23-22, 02:04 PM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
How long do you need to run the HVAC unit? 1.5 amps at 240 volts is 360 watts. For an inverter to supply 360 watts from a car battery (12 volts) it will draw close to 40 amps from the battery (allowing for conversion losses). A typical car battery can supply 40 amps for maybe an hour to an hour and a half.

Most of those portable power packs use batteries that have less capacity than a car battery, so they will run it for even less time.

If an hour or less is enough, you could look at 240v inverters commonly used for solar systems. You could even look at 240 UPS (uninterruptible power supplies), although they get expensive fast depending on how much run time you need. You should be able to find products in those categories with UL/CSA listings.

If you need it to run longer than that, you really need a generator, or a bunch of car batteries.

Old 12-23-22, 02:42 PM
W
I already have a Jackery 1500 for my 120V needs. The lithium Ion battery is much better at longer running time than a car battery. Sadly, there is no such thing as a Jackery than has 240 Volt output.

Old 12-24-22, 07:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,106 Upvotes on 1,885 Posts
It sounds like you have an outdoor package unit (gas pack). It's a shame you don't have a traditional split system as the furnace portion is usually 120 volt and much easier to power. Your system doesn't really need 240v for the furnace portion but it's needed for the air conditioner.

I too could not find a 240v/60hz power bank. There are European/English ones available but they output 50hz frequency and not the 60hz used in N. America. You may need to build your own power bank with a lithium battery, lithium charger, and a 240 volt inverter. Those components are frequently used by people living off grid, in RV's and in solar systems so they are readily available though not at your local big box store. DIYing also allows you to build a system sized for your needs. You can vary your battery size depending on how long you want to power your furnace during an outage. A few hours will be relatively inexpensive but you'll need a lot of battery capacity if you want heat for days. Lithium batteries are great (I use them a lot) but they are expensive which is why most UPS systems use old fashioned lead batteries to keep the cost down.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 12-24-22, 09:56 AM
W
Yes, you are correct Pilot Dane. It is a Rheem combo outdoor unit. (if it was the traditional split unit ,the indoor heating portion would be 120 volt and a bit easier to deal with). You are also correct in saying the vast majority of available Power Stations of the 240 volt variety are mainly for use in Europe. The ones I've seen for North American use are mostly the cheap,no name ones that don't have ULC or CSA or major approvals. I refuse to use them. Your suggestion of building one might be the only option. Just have to make sure its Pure Sine Wave inverter and has sufficient wattage capacity to handle the inrush current and be able to run for a few hours at least.the good thing is,it would not be continuous because my furnace (even at this freezing time of year) maybe comes on every 15 mins or so and runs for 5 minutes at a time. Thanks

Old 12-24-22, 05:12 PM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
One more option would be to add a 120/240 volt step up transformer after your 120v power pack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: