Convert 4 way switch to 3.5 way switch?

Old 01-17-23, 06:02 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert 4 way switch to 3.5 way switch?

OK, I know there is no such thing as 3.5 switch but I have an odd issue.
I am wanting to tu put a smart switch in my living room which has a 4 way switch. There is no such thing as a 4 way smart switch but I have read posts and watched a YOUTUBE vid by QTechreview that said you can use a Kasa 3 way smart switch as long as you put it on the line side. I followed the directions to the T but the switch only works until I flip the switches a couple times and then it starts flashing as if there was an issue. I checked my connections and they were solid.
I am thinking of converting the first switch to a single pole and run it to the second switch (which I will replace the 4 way with a 3 way)
So my set up woulkd be
Single pole to 3 way to 3 way switch
A. I this OK
B. I have not pulled the 4 way out yet to see if ther is a nuetral wire behind it, do you hink there will be a nuetral wire?

Old 01-17-23, 07:48 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Flashing after multiple switching indicates that the switch is in the Pairing mode. Did you set up the software according to the instructions?

Old 01-17-23, 08:09 AM
M
Thanks for your reply 2John. I hooked up the switch and connected it to my wifi via the app. I turned it on with the first 2 switches and when I hit the 3rd switch is when the flashing begun.

Old 01-17-23, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
I'm not quite following you but you can't remove a three way switch and replace it with a single pole switch. A four way circuit is three switches...... 2) three way switches and 1) four way switch. The smart switch could only replace one of the three way switches. To find the one where the power is you need to check from the common terminal to ground. The hot end is live no matter what any switch position is used.

Old 01-17-23, 12:20 PM
Post the wiring diagram that came with the switch.

Some smart switches use the traveler wire(s) in a 3-way/4-way circuit for non-current-carrying signals.
That may require rewiring the existing switches.

However, not all do. I have a smart switch that replaced a 3-way and the remaining 4-way and 3-way switches did not have to be changed and they work fine.

If your 3rd switch interrupted the power to the smart switch it would start flashing. The switch needs a constant power feed on its black wire/terminal.

Old 01-17-23, 12:24 PM
M
Thanks 2Johm amd PJmax... I swapped out this smart switch with one from my basement and the new switch workes and when I took this switch to the basement, it did the same blinking event.. I must have a defctive unti.. Sorry for wasting your time but I appreciate your insights

Old 01-17-23, 12:28 PM
Contact customer service. I have had two switches from Treatlife fail and they were replaced at no charge.

melweezo voted this post useful.
Old 01-17-23, 12:36 PM
M
PJmax... My idea was to make the first switch a single pole with the electricity coming through the common and going out the black travelor going to a 3 way switch that was a 4 way.. The white travelor between switch 1 and 2 would be capped on both ends and the black travelor becomes the common to switch 2. Between switch 2 and 3 would be the normal travelor wires in a 3 way switch..
Switvh 1 would always have to be in the on state. (it is rarely used because of where it is at)

Old 01-17-23, 01:05 PM
M
Will do 2 John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: