In-wall cable options for TV

Old 01-17-23, 05:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In-wall cable options for TV

Hello experts!

I'm planning to wall-mount my TV in my home office and would like to see what options I have for clean, in-wall cable management (current photo attached). As the original homeowner, I have construction photos and this is an exterior wall with furring strips over block (construction photo attached). Some of my neighbors have had this done with unsightly exterior conduit but I do not want to go this route (example photo attached).

I came across the cable kit at https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-TV...&sprefix=arlington+tvl2508k-1,tools,73&sr=1-1 and contacted the manufacturer as well. It seems like it should do the trick but there's a fair amount of drywall I'll need to remove behind the TV and down below.

Another option might be tapping into an existing line in the attic and dropping some romex down to make an outlet behind the TV. Would need to take out some of the block and secure it accordingly

Any other suggestions? Else maybe I just mount the TV and use a cable management raceway to keep it more simple.

Thanks in advance! I've mounted numerous TVs on interior walls with cable management making a new receptacle but this one seems trickier.

-Al

Old 01-17-23, 06:53 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
If you can live with it, a surface mount cable channel would be the easiest. If you paint it to match the wall it won't be that noticeable.

Do you know how thick the furring strips are? Your pic shows boxes mounted there so they must be at least a couple of inches. If that's the case, that kit you linked to should work fine. Even if the strips are only an inch thick, that still gives you 1.5 inches which is enough for those boxes and enough space to fish the cables. If you're not sure how deep the furring strips are, you can carefully explore by remove a receptacle cover and sliding something thin in next to the box until it hits the wall.

Old 01-18-23, 08:06 AM
S
Thanks for the prompt reply, CarbideTipped.

I removed my RJ45 jack earlier and measured from the block face to the drywall face in the room. It's about 1.5". I think that should be enough for the slim profile kit. I guess I can always purchase the kit and see.

Here is another photo showing the existing receptacle below. Maybe I can try tapping off of that and make a new one above but I'd need to make a deep box through part of the block behind the TV.

A cable raceway is the easiest for sure. Maybe I will first look into mounting the TV and I can do the wiring concealing later if I want.

Old 01-18-23, 08:35 AM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Not sure what you mean by making a deep box through part of the block behind the TV. If you install the shallow kit you linked to right behind the TV (Avoiding any furring strip of course), won't the power cord from the lower part of the kit reach the outlet? Then you would have power up right behind the TV as the cable bundle from lower to upper carries the power as well as providing a pass through path for the video, etc, stuff. Don't see why you'd have to tap into the existing box at all.

Old 01-18-23, 08:47 AM
S
I meant that if I tap off the existing receptacle below with romex in-wall and run a new receptacle behind the TV that's what I'd need to do. E.g. not using the kit. The advantage there is I'm only making one smaller hole in the drywall (behind the TV) vs two fairly large holes with the kit (one behind the TV and one below the TV). But the disadvantage is that it seems tricky.

I guess I might be leaning towards getting the TV mounted first (likely with a quality Sanus tilting mount) and then figuring out the cable management later. Probably leaning towards the kit solution though and I can just keep the drywall pieces I remove nearby if I ever need to patch it up later on.

Old 01-19-23, 06:32 AM
T
Received 213 Upvotes on 187 Posts
Have you looked at the Wiremold in Wall TV Power and Cable Grommet Kit? It is approved for in-wall use; I questioned it and investigated.

Old 01-20-23, 05:47 AM
S
ThisOldMan I've used similar wire management kits before with interior-facing walls but this kind of wall is not deep enough to accommodate something like that.

Old 01-25-23, 06:10 PM
S
Shifting the topic slightly, I just got a Sanus VLT5 mount (https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/tv-mounts/vlt5/) and am looking for suggestions on how to install it with my setup of drywall over furring strips over block. The furring strips are spaced 24" which align with the 4 expected mounting areas in the bracket. My concern is that regardless of where I place it along the furring strips, 2 of the diagonal mounting locations will always be right on the mortar lines between blocks (see previously attached photo).

The included masonry hardware in the kit has 5/16" x 2 3/4" lag bolts with anchors which obviously isn't an option for me since I'm not going directly into block. Should I just use 4 of these Tapcons and call it a day? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tapcon-5...4293/203770110 Else should I use sleeve anchors all around or for 2 of the 4 mount points that are in the mortar joints? Or is there another option?

The 55" TV weighs about 35 pounds so nothing too crazy but I want to ensure it's really secure.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-23, 04:31 AM
S
Thanks all. I ended up using 4x 3/8" x 3" sleeve anchors and it did the trick for mounting. I will leave the cables as-is for now. Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: