EMT conduit fill

Old 02-24-23, 07:36 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
EMT conduit fill

I've read conflicting information. When you read the maximum number of conductors in an EMT conduit - does that typically include the ground wire? Obviously it takes up physical space but do those allowable numbers include it or not?

Old 02-24-23, 09:00 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
You may be confusing box fill and conduit fill. Yes, each individual ground conductor counts toward conduit fill. And it's not just the number of conductors, its also their size. and if there are different size conductors in the pull, don't use the tables, do the math instead.

Old 02-24-23, 11:57 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Actually I wasn't mixing the two up. I've seen information saying a ground wire does not count toward conduit fill. I would think it should simply from the physical space it occupies.

Old 02-24-23, 12:57 PM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
When 3 or more conductors are placed in a conduit. the sum of the outer diameters of all conductors (based on size and insulation) cannot exceed 40% of the inner diameter of the conduit.

Then you have to pull them in. Pulling force depends on a lot of things like, length of pull, type of raceway (conduit), conductor insulation type, number and degree of bends, etc.

Old 02-24-23, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Upvotes on 761 Posts
The ground wire counts for conduit fill but it does not count for ampacity adjustments required when you have more than 3 current carrying conductors in a raceway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: