Pass a wire near exterior plywood roof sheathing

Old 04-20-23, 07:24 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pass a wire near exterior plywood roof sheathing

I am able to get a wire from an attic crawl space into the wall of a room below. But the wire passes through a gap between the roof joists and the exterior plywood sheathing. My guess is the wire might come within an inch of the plywood, so if at some future data a roofer shoot a long roofing nail it might actually hit the wire.

What is the electrical code for wiring near roofing sheathing and minimum distances? I might be able to do that portion with armored cable.

Old 04-20-23, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
1 1/4". This is why drill bits were invented. If you can't drill for some reason armored cable would be a good idea.

geo8rge voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-23, 10:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Code allows for protecting cables using EMT conduit. Can you get a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" conduit in that area? Maybe even just a pre-bent section of conduit and feed the cable through it? Add a strap to hold the short piece of conduit in place and you have protection from future nails.

geo8rge voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-23, 10:19 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. As an update, I found have a clear bay between the roof sheathing and the room ceiling.

Although I passed my fishing tape through a gap in the joists it actually emerged in a bay between joists. The bay takes an odd turn due to the hip of the roof so from below it looked completely blocked but turned out to be clear all the way. I did not need to use the gap in the joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: