Fitting Lights to Suspended / Drop Ceiling

Old 06-05-23, 04:30 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fitting Lights to Suspended / Drop Ceiling

Hey

Looking for a very simple DIY friendly solution to fitting lights to a drop ceiling and have some questions I am hoping some kind soul may be able to answer;

There are existing junction boxes which the old lights were fitted in - but these are now a few inches about the suspended ceiling;
1) Can I use these and simply run 4-5" of cable to a lightweight LED fitting attached to the ceiling panel?
2) If so can anyone recommend a suitable lightweight LED fitting?
3) If so I presume I need to cover the open junction box - right?

If not I assume I will have to use a hangar box designed for suspended ceilings, which I see online for about $20. Would rather avoid that if I can as it's an awkward space to work in between the old and new ceiling!

Thanks!
Chris

Old 06-05-23, 05:02 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Conventional incandescent cans are light enough that you can extend the arms out so they will sit on the ceiling panel in the grids. The electrical will just go into the enclosed junction box.

They also make several LED pucks that can be installed as well.

hiluxsurf voted this post useful.
Old 06-05-23, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
LED wafer lights that have a separate junction box work very well for suspended ceilings in homes. Example:https://www.homedepot.com/p/HALO-HLB...EMWR/311575585 or 4 pack: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-HLB...-4PK/314896491
These attach directly to the ceiling tiles and weigh very little. There are others to choose from.

Just come off the side with a price of Romex to feed the first light and then add lights as you see fit. Yes, each junction box will need a cover attached when you are done.

hiluxsurf voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: