Recessed light replacement issue

Old 07-16-23, 07:34 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed light replacement issue

Hi guys,

I am trying to replace a few recessed lights in my closets at home. I have been able to disassemble the fixture, and I have realized the can is 6 inches in diameter (so the bulb is about 5 inches). I would like to keep the cans in place, if possible.

Now, here is the catch: the electrical circuit does not have a switch (the lights are controlled with a pull string). I have been looking for ways to replace the fixture, but I can't find fixtures that have a pull string.

I don't mind upgrading to something that is motion activated, however I can't seem to find anything that will fit the cans I have. IMO, this should be an easy fix once I find the parts I need.

Do you guys have recommendations on where can I find ways to update my closet fixtures?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-23, 10:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
I don't know that I've ever seen a recessed can light fixture with a pull string before! Usually, recessed can light fixtures are controlled by a wall switch, or if it is in a closet a door jamb switch is often used.

You may be able to retrofit something like this shallow surface mount LED light with a built-in motion detector (see image below) to the existing recessed can somehow (or mount it directly to the ceiling) and have it cover the existing recessed can fixture's opening.

Last edited by Kooter; 07-16-23 at 11:08 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-16-23, 10:36 AM
Z
Received 134 Upvotes on 125 Posts
B-

You can buy a pull string switch and wire it into your new fixture.

Leviton 3-Amp Single-Pole 2-Circuit 4-Position (Low-Medium-High-Off) Pull Chain Switch 1689-50 - The Home Depot

Iíve added them to fluorescent fixtures, but IIRC there was an easy way to mount it and connect into the existing wiring on those long fluorescent fixtures.

But Iím almost 100% certain that itís OK to drill a small hole in a new fixture for the pull chain switch. Where you would do it on a recessed light (as was suggested already in post #2) would be somewhat difficult. I think it would have to be connected to the fixture splice box or onto an added splice box somewhere else if that made it more convenient.

Canít picture it though. Maybe drill a hole in the ceiling for the chain to drop though? I donít see how that would hurt anything Ė but Iím no expert.

Is your current fixture like this?

Recessed Lighting Can, 6 Inch, New Construction Ė Sunco Lighting

If so, how does the current pull chain connect into the fixture now?

Old 07-16-23, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,269 Upvotes on 2,021 Posts
I would get recessed LED lights with motion sensing. There are round versions for about $15 that can be used over recessed cans or electrical boxes. A quick search online should yield many options.

Old 07-16-23, 03:30 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Guys, you are the best. You gave me a few ideas already and I really appreciate it.

the current fixture seems it has the switch built in, so I will need to look into the retrofitting into the existing can.

I will review your responses and will follow up.

thanks again!

Old 07-16-23, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
berni1984 - How about this? Fits Standard 6" recessed can - Has a motion detector and comes with the cable adapter for easy Plug & Play retrofit! You can even select the LED light color you want from warm to daylight with a little selector switch on the fixture.

What could be easier to update your closet lights?

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxima-Retro...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: