Creating my own sauana-light hook-up and mount advice

Old 08-16-23, 10:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Creating my own sauana-light hook-up and mount advice

I am looking to make my own sauna. I've found a setup I really like. Just curious, is there any way to wire several lights (like seen below) so it just goes to one plug?
Also, curious if anyone would know a good product for mounting lights like this, where you can adjust their position.

Here's the light I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/RubyLux-NIR-...nfrared+sauna+lamp&qid=1692190395&sr=8-3&th=1
As for connecting multiple lights, I mean connecting, say, 3-7 of these together, then just having one plug: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2052-.../dp/B0036ZA952.
They are Incandescent, 250 watts, 120 volts, each.

This would be an indoor, dry sauna.

Last edited by droidus; 08-16-23 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-16-23, 12:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
I would think any sort of track lighting that has medium base sockets would work provided you mind the wattage. For that matter you can use almost any fixture capable of handling the wattage. They could be on a flexible (gooseneck) or articulating arm so you can position them.

I think six bulbs will be the maximum you can run on a standard 15 amp 120 volt circuit.

Have you thought of safety? How do you plan to guard the bulbs so someone can't accidentally touch or break one of the exposed bulbs.

Old 08-16-23, 12:16 PM
D
So for right now, I would just be using it myself. As for safety, is the risk just burning myself if I were to touch it?
Here's something I'm looking at adding to each bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Newhouse-Ligh.../dp/B00GRFZ2SM.

Old 08-16-23, 12:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
Yes, touching the hot bulbs can be quite dangerous. First, there is the immediate burn. Second, if you are sweaty there is a good chance it will cause the glass bulb to shatter. I imagine burning cuts hurt worse than regular cuts.

The metal cage is a good idea though it too will get very hot. It will help prevent you from shattering the bulb and you might get away with a mild burn if you pull away fast enough. The real danger is if you loose your balance and really press or push into the guard or worse, the bulb.

Old 08-16-23, 02:34 PM
D
Any other recommendations instead of the metal cage?

Old 08-18-23, 01:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
They've used tracks and track lighting heads in that application in the picture.
Most of the track heads are 100-150watt max. 250watts would burn them pretty quick.
Although those sockets you linked to say 600watts. They will burn fairly quickly with those lamps.

You should some type of ceramic socket....... ceramic sockets
The wiring is supposed to be contained within a UL listed raceway.

A cage around each lamp is about the best you can do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: