bathroom fan/light outlets went out

Old 09-27-23, 03:58 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question bathroom fan/light outlets went out

In addition to the bathroom fan/light outlets being out, neighboring rooms also have outlets out.
Two outlets downstairs BedRoom, also outlets at front and back all didn't work at same time. There were not flipping of any breakers.
Using multimeter #1 to check all breakers with main power on , all showed 120 v, #2 , all breakers showed nothing with power off . #3 check the resistance with power off, all showed 0, which means the breakers ok . I also checked two GFCI, both work. What else I should check before calling an electrician ?

Old 09-27-23, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,990 Upvotes on 3,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You said you checked both GFI's...... did you push test and then reset ?
GFI's must have power to reset.

Are all the items that are dead on the same circuit ?

Old 09-29-23, 12:59 AM
A
Received 167 Upvotes on 138 Posts
The very first step of troubleshooting an issue like this is to check EVERY GFCI in the house no matter it's location in the house.

GFCIs should really be tested monthly which very rarely happens. So to complete both steps - one testing all GFCIs in the house and second the first line of troubleshooting go to every single GFCI in the house (no matter it's location) and press the "test" button and then the "reset" button on each of them. To reset a GFCI take the very tip f your finger and push hard with firm pressure the reset button.

As PJMax stated a GFCI must have power going to it for it to function (reset). If a GFCI upstream of another trips then the one downstream will not have power and will not reset. So check them all. I found GFCI receptacles in people's home they did not even know they had. Even one next to your breaker panel if there is one there.

Once you check ALL GFCIs and your power is still out we can guide you further. Don't assume you found them all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: