Zareba electrical fence charger

Old 11-07-23, 08:53 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Zareba electrical fence charger

Hi all,

Item in question is a Zareba solar powered electric fence charger hooked to polywire fence on a horse farm. Appears to be operational when I look at it - delvers an appropriate shock and the dummy light blinks as it pulses, pulse is audible. The owner however says that there is a pattern where it is fine in the afternoon when they turn it on and it's not pulsing by morning. I haven't had a chance to get there early enough to see for myself, but before I do that tomorrow does anyone know if this a normal failure mode for these devices? Do you consider them worth repairing or just replace with new?

Old 11-07-23, 09:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
How is it powered? If battery the battery may be dying during the night.

Also check to see if they have allowed weeds to grow up around the fence. Some dry grass might not affect performance much but after the grass is wet with the evenings dew it conducts electricity much better and may be shorting out the wire.

dontpanic voted this post useful.
Old 11-07-23, 09:53 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I think "solar powered" probably answers your question.

Old 11-07-23, 01:02 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chuckled at the solar snark, but the property has six different pastures spread out over 200 acres so I don't blame them for not wanting to run all that line.

As to the fenceline, it's well maintained but I'll give it a check to see if the polywire is touching anywhere as well as clearing the ground connection. After that I'll assume its the battery. No idea what else is inside the box.

Old 11-07-23, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Some of those Zareba units use a standard 6v 10ah sealed lead acid battery. $15-$25.
Same battery used in those kids ride on toys.

Old 11-07-23, 07:17 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
The solar comment wasn't intended as a snark. It just makes sense that the batteries are not getting enough charge. Either they are bad or their just isn't enough charge from the solar panel(s).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: