Any good guesses?

Old 11-18-23, 07:29 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Talking Any good guesses?

LOL, Brother discovered this in his garage when removing the sheetrock. I know people do weird things, but this seem like a bunch of work for no reward. I can't begin to think of a reason someone would go through all the work. Anyone have an idea why someone would do this?

Old 11-19-23, 01:06 AM
A
Received 166 Upvotes on 138 Posts
It is difficult to see the details as I can not enlarge the picture but it looks as those the 2x4 was cut so a metal box could be installed in that area.

I have one that tops that though.. When I moved into my house I noticed that not one box was used for any receptacles or switches. Just holes punched in the walls and receptacles and switches mounted right to the wall surface and then face plates put on.

One light switch in a room with paneling on the walls I guess the person who cut the paneling messed up and placed the hole in the paneling for the switch in the wrong place which landed the switch position right on top of an upright 2x4. So instead of using another piece of paneling they chipped out an area on the face of the 2x4 so they could still use that sheet of paneling. I placed the switch right on top of the chipped/chiseled out portion of the 2x4 and then just screwed the switch directly into the paneling, again no box. I had to use a wire mold box to fix that one. Another wall in the house they put switches back to back in the wall cavity without any boxes. So again I used wire mold boxes. The switch ;positions were not exactly behind each other so I had no choise but to use wire mold boxes.

Why do people do these things - who knows. That metal box in the picture can be moved up higher. The the 2x4 re-enforced.

Old 11-19-23, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
My guess is they couldn't figure out a good way to attach the box to the stud.

I see odd stuff all the time. I just figure that it seemed to be a good idea at the time.

Old 11-19-23, 08:01 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
It's a bakelite box, not metal. Not sure why the pic doesn't zoom for you, I click on it and it fills the screen. It looks like they took 2 long drywall screws and attached it upwards and downwards.

I'm thinking something was there before the box that created the cutout in the stud. Not sure what though...but then why choose that place for the box? Hmmmmm....

Old 11-21-23, 11:24 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Sister (bridge) a length of 2x4 (I suggest at least 3 feet long) to the cut 2x4 stud ends. An example of how to do it is shown on the next stud to the right.

I suggest at least five screws into the stud end above and five screws into the stud end below.

You will need to adjust the screws or nails holding the splintered stud ends together so the new 2x4 piece will make good contact,

Do not squash any wires or cables.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: