Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How critical is it to run a ground green conductor to a switch?

Old 03-27-24, 12:09 PM
M
Received 9 Upvotes on 7 Posts

Metal switch box with either NMB or MC wiring.

How critical is it to run a green ground conductor to each switch?

I have a three gang box with three toggle switches. One is for a switched receptacle (floor lamp), one for a ceiling light and one for a three way switch. There are three conduits coming into the box, each with a green conductor. That's three, then one green conductor bonded to the metal box, then one green conductor to each of the switch, that's a total of 7 conductors in that box spliced together, and it's thus divided into two large wire nuts with a short jumper between the two, a total of 8 green conductors.

Now I want to change the ceiling light into a fan/light which means a larger "boxy" switch, and the three way light into a dimming three way also a boxy switch, and the existing wires in the box are getting a bit crowded,

I am thinking may be I will skip the green conductor to each of the three switches, and just splice the three green conductors coming from each conduit, plus a short one to the box. Is that kosher?

Or do I need to use self grounding switches so they connect to the metal box?

Old 03-27-24, 08:30 PM
L
Received 204 Upvotes on 174 Posts
do I need to use self grounding switches so they connect to the metal box?
This is easiest and probably the best solution. Many dimmer switches come with self grounding clips.

Old 03-27-24, 09:43 PM
T
Received 210 Upvotes on 184 Posts
[size=19px]Dismount each switch and use a meter to check for continuity between the ground screw and yoke of each switch. You may find your switches are self-grounding on metal boxes.[/size]

Old 03-28-24, 06:52 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiCuse
How critical is it to run a green ground conductor to each switch?
Really depends on the setup- for your application with multiple boxes, you can probably use the grounding clips.

In contrast, when I was a kid we our dining room had 2 switches by a backdoor- one for an outside light, one for the ceiling light. Both switches had 1970s pseudo colonial-militia figure done with hammered metal switch covers.
Well, turns out one box & switch was reverse wired and not grounded properly- so, if you went to flip on both switches and happened to touch both metal switch covers - you got a 120v surprise.

Old 03-28-24, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 907 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Switches that are mounted to a grounded metal box are not required to have a grounding conductor connected to them. NEC 404.9(B)(1)

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: