Paslode Impulse Cordless Nailers-From a Service Tech

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-14, 10:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paslode Impulse Cordless Nailers-From a Service Tech

Hello,

I am new to the forums here and I thought I would make a post to maybe help some people out when it comes to the Paslode Impulse nailers.

I have worked at 2 different service centers since 2003 and have wrenched on more of these guns than I care to count. In that time, I have become aware of several common service issues that arent really issues at all. Maybe I can save some people some heartache, buyer's remorse, or maybe some money.

First things first...Check your fuel cells! Make sure before you buy that the date on the bottom is not expired. The cells last about 18 months from the date of manufacture. Alot of big box stores do not rotate their stock and you can buy brand new expired cells. You will know the difference from the smell of a good cell and a bad one if they are side by side. The bad cell will smell noticeably sweeter than a good cell. Also be sure that you get the right cell in the right tool. Framers use the red cells only. Everything else uses a yellow cell (short or long.) I have made a lot of money from people simply using the wrong cell. Also, if you are using the old style cells make sure you snap the metering valve on properly. The newer tools have eliminated this problem but there are still millions of the old style out there. And be sure on the older style tools that the fuel stem is turned the right way. It should look like a V pointing toward the inside of the tool not looking back at you. Also check your altitude. If you are above 4500 feet the tool is really going to struggle(misfires, no fires, etc.) For trim tools go to a service center and see if they have a blue metering valve for higher altitude.

On the older tools the battery (oval NiCd) had a tendency to fall out at inopportune times (usually when you are up on a ladder 30 feet above a concrete floor.) This is also an easily fixable problem. Simply take out your battery and take a piece of sticky foam on the top of the battery with the stick side up and put the battery back in. It may take a couple of tries to get it stuck up in the tool correctly but this caused the tab on the battery to make contact with the body of the tool so it doesnt slide around anymore. Of course the battery isnt as easy to remove anymore but a little more time to take out the battery is cheaper than replacing a broken battery.

No fire problems on framing tools. If you are sure it isnt the fuel then this is a great tip. Inside the fuel door you will see a thin piece of metal that is bent into a long S shape. one side is wrapped around the plastic to keep it in place and the other is a wheel that activates the switch on the circuit board. If you are really adventurous you can take the body of the tool off the handle and take this lever off or you can take a screwdriver and bend the wheel end up just slightly. This will activate the switch sooner so the tool will spark better. Your framer needs this modification of you are getting no fires when working at oddd angles and when toe nailing. If you still get a no fire adjust your depth OUT not IN. if it still no fires it needs more help than that.

Misfiring or dry firing. This means the tool fires but no nail comes out. First things first...check your nails. Generic nails are rarely the 30� used bu paslode and will not pick up properly. Some generics work better than others but to make sure use genuine Paslode. Im not thumping for Paslode but the Impulse framers are sensitive to angles. Also only use paper collated nails if you are using generics. Make sure the tape is nice and straight and isnt crinkled. If your nails get wet they will bunch up and leave pieces of the tape and glue in the magazine and the nails wont feed properly. Generally if you use genuine Paslode or a good generic and keep your nails dry you wont have problems. Also make sure that your bolts are tight. Sometimes they back out over time and the nose of the tool starts to move. Trim tools are pretty sensitive to generic nails too but to a lesser degree as the nails generally are all badically the same. its the glue that binds them together that causes problems. basically you want nails that arent too stiff and arent too flimsy. too flimsy and they will shatter when dropped. too stiff and they wont bend in your hand. either of these will cause your tool to malfunction. Your best bet with these tools is to use genuine Paslode fasteners. I have also found that Beck makes a good generic if you can find them. Although you wont pay a whole lot less for them.

If it isnt a fastener problem then its time to get dirty. The newer style framing tools have piston style rings inside to seal the combustion chamber but the old tools had teflon orings. If your tool has orings simply replace the orings and oils with genuine impulse oil. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OIL OR ORING. These tools have a special oring that withstands the heat and use of these tools. a rubber oring is more of a pain to clean out after it melts or disintegrates than your $15 for new genuine orings costs Also the oil is ashless and does not burn. Any other oil and you will hate your bill at a service center. If you have the steel rings just coat them in impulse oil and spin them a few times and make sure the gaps are 180� from each other.

Also, if you are going to clean your tool please use paslode degreaser. Other cleaners (carb cleaner or brake cleaner) will work faster but the paslode is designed not to fry your electrical components. I have replaced many many $75 parts because someone decided to vlean their tools with brake cleaner and fried a motor or an electronic spark unit instead of forking over another $2 for a cleaner engineered to do the job. After cleaning be sure to push the driver all the way out and oil the sleeve and oil your seals. If you use your tool regularly you shouldnt need to oil your Impluse tools. The fuel cell conains a small amount of oil so the tool is lightly oiled wvery time it is fired. If you dont use it regularly then just drop a few drops in around the fuel stem and actuate the tool a few times.

I hope this was helpful for some people who may have been having problems with their impulse tools. Im sure I missed some things but that should take care of a lot of basic complaints. I have had customers who frame and trim daily with Impluse nailers and as long as they arent abused and are maintained properly they will shoot tens of thousands of nails with few if any problems. As with any mechanical device something will break and they will require professional service but I have personally worked on these tools that are still going strong after 10 years of daily use.

Always be safe and happy nailing. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me and I will do my best to help you out.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Those are some great tips, thanks for sharing. I've got one of those batteries that like to fall out. lol

Old 03-23-14, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have two older Impulse nailers that have been extremely reliable. You do bring up a valid point with the fuel cells. I don't remember a smell but I remember old ones not operating correctly.

Thanks for all the good advice

Old 03-23-14, 11:15 AM
S
I have found that 1/2 inch thick (or so) weather stripping works better than the genuine paslode yellow foam stickies

Old 03-23-14, 11:26 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had a Paslode finish nailer and there was a problem with the firing mechanism (the black box that generates the high voltage spark). The wire that connects to the box was loose, so I pulled it out, added a tiny bit of solder to the end and pushed it back in. It then fit nice and snug. That in combination with a good cleaning had it firing every time, whereas prior to that it would fire once every 20 times.

Old 03-23-14, 01:59 PM
S
It was a rare problem in the older finish nailers (the straight 16 gauge that took the long yellow fuel cells) to have a loose connection but not unheard of. i would usually take a soldering iron and melt the connections together a bit. there were a lot of wires in there and all it took was one person to not put it back together right and you could fry some expensive parts. im glad you figured out a way to fix it yourself. a lot of places would have charged you for tthe two parts that didnt connect. now they are all molded circuit boards and almost never have connection problems.

Another trick about the battery, especially if you have fixed it with the foam is to clean the contacts and the battery connections with a pencil eraser and lube them with a tiny dab of dielectric grease. you will know if your battery is losing contact because the fan motor will sputter.

Also when you are removing the housing from the handle to be sure you dont snag the fan blade. it will make a nasty buzzing noise and you can burn up your fan motor.

Old 03-23-14, 02:09 PM
S
The main reason I wrote the original post was in response to the numerous complaints online from Home Depot and Lowes customers who obviously did not know the ins and outs of the tools before they bought them. Alot of the complaints and poor reviews are from people with incredibly simple (sometimes ignorant) problems. Most of my repairs dont generally come from contractors who use them for their intended purpose (punch out lists, awkward places, etc) they come from someone who bought the tool to build a shed or a deck and just dont know how to use them. they buy the wrong nails, the wrong fuel, they dont have the depth adjusted and claim the nails dont drive deep enough, or they dont use them for years and expect the fuel to last forever or run without a fresh oiling. these people claim that the tools are junk when they really arent. the rest of the repairs are mainly from heavy use/abuse and age. what i am trying to say is if you follow the list i made and ignore the rules they are incredibly (yes, incredibly) reliable tools that will last a very long time. I still have people coming in with the old black solid state tools that are still running strong after 20+ years.

Old 04-07-14, 06:49 PM
D
Dad54

I have an old 900420 framing nailer that stopped working. put in new molded circuit assembly, new spark unit ,and cleaned everything, still does not work. Have checked all parts with a meter, even got the electric check list from paslode, but can not even get the fan to run.

Old 04-08-14, 11:08 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have an old 900420 framing nailer that stopped working. put in new molded circuit assembly, new spark unit ,and cleaned everything, still does not work. Have checked all parts with a meter, even got the electric check list from paslode, but can not even get the fan to run.
When you say you cleaned "everything", did you actually take the cylinder apart and clean it real well? Do you have a spark? I believe the fan turns on upon depressing the nose. If not, be sure the plastic switch piece was put back in properly. It may not be making contact with the push button switch. I just took apart my non-functional 900420 nailer and cleaned the heck out of it and now it fires every time. I didn't have an issue with spark or the fan coming on though. Just a compression problem. When cleaning the piston/cylinder assembly, be sure to add a bit of Paslode oil per the instructions, on the o-rings as well.

Old 04-08-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
I had one where the battery just wasn't making contact.
It was the battery itself... no matter how you pushed it in it wouldn't make contact.... goofy. a new battery solved that problem.

Old 04-26-14, 05:19 AM
V
hello, steveW82, i got paslode impulse 900420 , i have problem every time press down spring load lower probe , fan not running.i can't fire the gun. i work out to get it work due to { lockout bar,follower item 40 on part legend, keep coming out the stop lower probe } . how do i fix it ??
i use screwdriver press down lockout bar the gun work fine after 5 shoot lockout bar pop up again..
thank advance

Old 11-07-14, 03:23 PM
T
I have a Paslode Framing Nailer 900420 that nails & fires great. The problem I have is that the fan runs all of the time. I have put in a new molded circuit, fan motor, and fan PC board. None of that helped. The fan starts immediately after installing the battery, and doesn't stop until I remove the battery. I can nail as many nails as I want, but the fan is going to run. I know the quick answer is to remove the battery. I tried that for a while, I just pulled the battery out a bit to get the fan to stop. One time I grabbed the nailer to nail something overhead (from a ladder) and the battery slid out and broke when it hit the ground. I'd really like to fix this the right way.

The green light on the handle flashes green normally. After nailing, the green light turns on continuously and then after 15-20 seconds returns to flashing. The fan runs the whole time. It looks like the trigger switch on the top of the circuit should depress, but I don't see anything that makes it operate. I can take a screw driver and make the switch depress, but it doesn't make the fan turn off either.

One solution, that I read about is to install a new spark unit, but they are kind of pricey and I don't see how that would fix my problem.

Old 04-11-15, 04:05 PM
A
Hi all I'm new to this forum. My framer when I insert the battery flashes green for a few seconds. Then shortly flashes red and won't fire nails. The fan motor runs but sounds weak as when your battery is low/ddead. I know it's not the battery as it works fine in my finishing gun. I've also had the spark unit assembly replaced recently too. Any help would be awesome???
Thanks

Old 04-13-15, 05:57 PM
T
Does the battery have a good connection inside your nail gun?

Old 04-13-15, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a bad gas cylinder. They have expiration dates on them.

Old 04-16-15, 06:17 AM
T
Paslode 18 gauge problem

I own a number of Paslode nailers and have regularly done my own repairs and maintenance. I have the same problem with two identical 18 gauge nailers. That is they won't fully bury the brad. Almost always leaves it proud regardless of depth setting. Have cleaned, tried different fuel, etc., etc. Could it be that the drive pins on both of them are worn down enough? The guns don't get used that much as I generally use my 16gauge.

Old 01-16-16, 06:23 AM
E
Fixed Paslode IMT250 ii intermittent cut out

I was having problems with my Paslode finish gun andanaged to find the problem tonight. I tried all the fixes on Google, YouTube, forums etc but nothing worked..
My gun would fire a nail then just cut out. No power etc...

To fix I had to bend the battery terminals inside the handle. When the battery was pushed in too far it would spread the terminals and pull them away from the contact. I had to increase the angle on them so that the battery housing would not lift it off the contact if that makes sense...

Please spread this fix as I'm sure others would have the same problem!

Old 02-15-16, 08:17 AM
D
Paslode 900400 Finish nailer

I've got a Paslode finish nailer IM 250 model that has good battery power and good fuel cell. What I don't have is spark when I pull the trigger. I pulled the plug wire and put a jumper between the wire and the plug but there's no spark. All the wires have good contact. Is it the black ignition box that the plug wire comes out of? Fan runs fine as does the green light on the handle. I appreciate any tips.
Thanks d

Old 02-15-16, 12:30 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Nailer

Look for pinched wires. I have a friend whose nailer had pinched wires which were shorting out. The symptoms were as you have described.

Old 03-02-16, 06:33 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Paslode finish nailer pison problem

I just repaired a finish nailer put in a new piston assembly and cleaned the cylinder with paslode cleaner and the rings for the top piece and oiled it back up and put together and the new piston does not go all the way back up. Took it apart several times and re cleaned and oiled everything and no luck. What would cause the piston / firing pin to not go back up other then dirt and I have degreased, cleaned and oiled it many times. I am at a loss.

macduffy voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-16, 06:56 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Also will a bad canister cause the firing pin to not return all the way up? It drives the nail in fine but just don't return all the way back up. Is the canister weak is that a possibility?

Old 07-12-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
This has been a busy thread however it's getting too large to bring back into the forums so it will remain forever in our searchable archives for future reference.

If this thread doesn't help you.... please feel free to start a new thread and be sure to reference this one.

Closed Thread