Cutting Granite Countertop

Old 01-08-16, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting Granite Countertop

I have a 4 1/2" variable speed grinder. I would like to know the best brand of tools to use for the grinder wheel as well as the polishing pads. I can find a million online but would prefer to spend the money on the best quality. If anyone has any other specific advise that you believe I would not find in online videos or tutorials please feel free to share.

I am not a novice DIY'er. I understand risk involved. I am well aware of using water with the grinder as well as the dust particles. People answering this topic maybe inclined to explain the difficulty and risks associated with this task. Please none of that.

I appreciate any help or direction.

Old 01-09-16, 09:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
It sounds like you have it figured. The expert installers I work with have no special tools. They can cut free-hand and polish no problem.

Of course this is for adjustments and not fabricating the top, which is done on the CNC router.
Either way, the experts can get a nice cut in the field and it sounds like you are capable also.

Old 01-09-16, 09:46 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I cut all my stone on a wet saw or have my local fabricate it. Speaking of fabricators, find one, they usually have a dumpster full of scrap that you can grab a couple of pieces and test your skills before going live on your counter top.

Old 03-12-16, 04:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Granite is a hard stone and it does not good quality diamond polishind pads to polish it to good quality gloss. Some people do use Buff for final finish.
I have used Stadea Series Super A wet polishing pads for polishing granite edges to mirror like finish for cutting and installation of undermount sink.
The following blog and video would be helpful:

How to cut granite edges marble edges polishing

How to cut and polish granite countertop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJp3HzotAc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: