Electric Chain Saw - Replacement of Motor Bearing in Melted Plastic Housing

Old 02-14-16, 02:08 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Chain Saw - Replacement of Motor Bearing in Melted Plastic Housing

I have a small electric chain saw which needs a replacement electric
rotor shaft bearing. The motor heated up, bearing shattered and the recessed

area in the plastic case has melted leaving an enlarged, out of shape socket in the
case for the bearing. I have thought of different alternatives to fill the gap around the
bearing in this plastic case. Epoxy resin ( I would hopefully remove the bearing before the
epoxy completely hardens so it is not cemented to the plastic case) or fiberglass resin, either the
clear resin or the type used for auto body repair. Advice from anyone more knowledgeable would be
much appreciated.

Old 02-14-16, 04:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Do you have a replacement bearing that will work?

I would glue the bearing in place. Clean the outside of the outer race with alcohol or mineral spirits so the epoxy can stick to it. Then coat the end of your motor shaft, the inner race of the bearing and the seal area with grease to prevent the epoxy from sticking. The motors armature probably will not stay centered without the bearing to hold it in place. You can use pieces of paper or cardboard shoved into the gap around the perimeter to hold it in the center. Make sure you can get the paper back out. Test fit. Then put the bearing on the motor shaft and apply your epoxy. Make sure you use enough to fill any gaps to secure the bearing but not so much that it squeezes out and onto the motor. Assemble the motor housing and leave it alone until the epoxy is fully cured. Then open the housing to make sure the bearing got stuck properly in place and remove the spacers around the motor. Then put it back together and see if it works.

Old 02-14-16, 06:14 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I just can not imagine going to all that work for an inexpencive saw like that.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/electric%...2520saw?NCNI-5
If one bearing was that bad then all of them should be replaced as well as the brushes, by then you may have spent almost 1/2 the cost of a new saw with the shipping.

Old 02-14-16, 07:38 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I lived in the United States or perhaps Europe then I would agree with you. The saw, a Remington pole saw, cost me about $ 80 and was shipped to me in Asia through a friend who gets free shipping from the US. Cheapest new saw where I am located would be at least 200 or 300 Dollars and that would most likely be poor quality.

Old 02-14-16, 04:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's one thing in the North America or Europe where parts are available and shipping is cheap. In other parts of the world buying a new one isn't always a good option and you have to fix rather than throw away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: