Matching up tools and sets

Old 05-02-16, 09:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matching up tools and sets

Hello
I m not sure if Im in the right channel but here is my question.
I have several old tool sets from mastercraft such as socket sets bit sets, etc..
Unfortunately there are no manuals or model type names on the boxes themselves. Also I have several old sockets(ie Mastercraft, and other rusted out types) to try and fit right bits and sockets into right cases.
Is there a way to do this or a sight to visit with pics so I can match up correct thing?
Thanks

Old 05-02-16, 11:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what it is you are asking sockets and wrenches always have the size marked on them somewhere. You might need to clean them up a little to see the markings. I've never known of any manual that came with those types of hand tools.

Old 05-02-16, 12:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I'm with Mark in that I don't really understand what you're asking so some additional detail might help get you a better answer.

Old 05-02-16, 03:15 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Tools

OP has several tool sets, but the tools are not in the correct tool box. The OP wants a way to match each tool to the correct tool box. I have no idea how it could be done.

Old 05-02-16, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Usually the tools in each set carry a similar marking or branding.

Old 05-06-16, 10:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
This kind of chore is never fun. But there may be enough clues to tell you how to sort sockets into sets:
~ look for drive size of the set, and match the drive size of the stray sockets (1/2, 3/8, 1/4)
~ the set may be 6 point or 12 point, so sort strays by points

After that, it may come down to sorting the strays by size (as marked on the socket), then looking at the sets to see what size is missing. A metric set makes this easy since the socket sizes are all integers. With an SAE set you'll have to remember how to size by fractions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: