How do I install this window A/C?

Old 06-16-16, 08:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I install this window A/C?

Glad to find this site. Hoping somebody can tell me how to place the a/c I purchased onto my window sill. It looks unsafe to place because the bottom of the a/c has a rectangular protrusion that goes from one side to the other and it doesn't fit into the groove of the sill. I don't get it. Had a few people over and they just set it on the sill but it doesn't feel right. I've never done this before so maybe I'm worried for nothing...? Attaching photos of the top and bottom of the a/c and the sill.

I purchased an "a/c safety net" (strong cloth "cage" it goes in so it doesn't fall out) but if you have any advice on what to purchase to hold the window down to keep the a/c from falling, I'd appreciate it. Temps are going to be hot tomorrow, 100 degrees on Sunday, hot next week.

Thanks

Attached Images     
Old 06-16-16, 12:34 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
That air conditioner should include a pair of slide out "accordion" side panels that assemble to the sides of the unit. They usually have parts that slide into that channel on the bottom. You then screw the panels to the window frame. Did they include instructions?
Andy

Old 06-16-16, 01:02 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Old 06-16-16, 02:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The real problem is that is a vinyl window and the weight might permanently distort it.

I'd build a square "U" shaped bridge to go over the bottom of the window and rest on the window sill on each side of the window. A 1x4 perhaps whose length was equal to the width of the window wit a 1x1 supporting the inside and a second piece of wood on the out side to support it level.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  7.8 KB

Old 06-16-16, 03:26 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray2047
The real problem is that is a vinyl window and the weight might permanently distort it.
Totally agree with you!

DaisyGirl, you might want to look at this thread. It is kind of similar to the same question:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...window-ac.html

Old 06-16-16, 04:57 PM
D
joecaption, I have that -thank you.

Old 06-16-16, 05:31 PM
D
Appreciate all these responses. I have the a/c heavy duty support board from Home Depot that's suggested and I have the accordion panels, too.

The a/c heavy duty support board suggested from Home Depot is built to take the weight off the sill so it's doing what is suggested here (placing a U-shaped board over sill OR looking at another thread, which says the same thing). But the problem I have still isn't taken care of because -using the a/c board from Home Depot OR getting a U-shaped board still leaves a flat surface over the sill. That's not my concern. My concern is that there is a groove, a protrusion on the bottom of the a/c. The bottom of the a/c is not flat. It's flat with a 1-2 inch protrusion running east and west. I don't get what that's for. When I call the manufacturer, they actually don't know. They don't have any technical support.

If I sit the a/c with the protrusion on the inside of my home, on the inside of the window sill, it would keep the a/c from falling out but then the a/c tilts the wrong way -it tilts toward my home not toward the outside. It's supposed to have a slight tilt toward the outside, not my home, in order to allow water/moisture to slide off. I can't place the protrusion on the outside of the sill because the whole damn thing will fall out.

Completely confused about WHY there is a protrusion on the bottom of the a/c. Look at the 2nd photo down and you'll see a square white protrusion underneath the a/c -it's actually rectangular, going all the way to the other side of the a/c ...why? Then look at the last photo of my sill and you'll see the inside of the window sill. The protrusion is WIDER than the inside of the sill so it doesn't fit.

Am I supposed to screw it off?

thank you

Old 06-16-16, 06:25 PM
Completely confused about WHY there is a protrusion on the bottom of the a/c.
That is the track for the accordion sides to slip into. The window is shut tightly against the top of the A/C and a bracket or dowel in the window track prevents the window from raising up. If you are not comfortable with that being the only means you can place a board the thickness of the protrusion on either side to help steady it.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  11.3 KB

Old 06-16-16, 09:28 PM
D
hi Ray,
You've got the right photo but instead of looking at the side, where the accordion panels fit into, look at the very BOTTOM of the a/c where there is a white protrusion with a hole in it (about 1/2 inch on your screen). Sorry, I'm getting now that the photo isn't helpful. That little white protrusion goes all along the BOTTOM of the a/c so it doesn't lay flat on the sill.

Should I take it off? What is it for? How is it supposed to fit on the sill (the groove inside the sill is much smaller)?

THANK YOU

Old 06-16-16, 11:05 PM
look at the very BOTTOM of the a/c where there is a white protrusion with a hole in it (about 1/2 inch on your screen).
Can you post a better picture. I really don't understand.

Sorry I jumped in in the middle of the thread without reading your original post. My bad. To answer an original question:
any advice on what to purchase to hold the window down to keep the a/c from falling
As I wrote cut a dowel or broom stick to "jamb" in the window track. A single #6 sheet metal screw in the middle will hold it. However it should have come with a stop bracket so that shouldn't be needed.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-17-16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 11:11 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Daisy, can you list the make and model of your AC Window Unit?

Old 06-17-16, 02:53 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I understand exactly what Daisy is asking. I don't know if I can explain in words how to deal with it. Perhaps I can come up with either a drawing or perhaps pictures in the next couple of days describing the proper installation. It is really quite simple, just hard to explain.

Old 06-17-16, 09:12 AM
D
Wow, you guys are awesome. I am going to have to get the a/c out of storage, photograph the bottom of it, take some measurements and post the findings this afternoon -sorry for not doing this earlier.

Frigidaire Energy Star 10,000 BTU, 115-volt, window-mounted, compact a/c with temperature-sensing remote control

Model# FFRE1033Q1

Link for product support and manuals:
http://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/Product-Support--Manuals/?productCode=FFRE1033Q1

http://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Cent...ode=FFRE1033Q1

Link to manufacturer's installation directions:
http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodinfo_pdf/Edison/2020215a1036.pdf

http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodin...20215a1036.pdf

On the directions link above, if you look at #9, it shows a diagram that includes the bottom of the a/c protrusion/groove I'm referring to and it shows it being placed behind a ledge. This didn't work when I tried it before. Going to post the photo and measurements later this afternoon so it's clear why.

For now, just a note to say that the manufacturer and the people that make the A/C Universal Heavy Duty Support "board" (the one suggested earlier that you buy at Home Depot; it puts the weight onto the support board and not the window) -they said it's not ideal to place an a/c onto wood, even though most people do, because any water/moisture leaving the unit can potentially warp the wood or alter it somehow and make the structure unsafe over time OR even hurt the a/c. I don't know how true this is; it's what I was told.

Link to A/C Safe Universal Heavy-Duty A/C Support (the one I purchased that takes the weight off the sill and puts it onto the support board):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Universal-Heavy-Duty-Air-Conditioner-Support-AC-160/100123126

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-U...-160/100123126

THANK YOU I will log back on later this afternoon with a photograph of the bottom of the a/c and some measurements...

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-17-16 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Clickable links added
Old 06-17-16, 11:33 AM
Your links or not clickable. Looking at the code I see odd code but nothing that is correct. If you are using an editor then pasting the post that may be the problem.

Old 06-17-16, 12:06 PM
F
Ray, they are good links. I don't know how it works with Linux but with my XP and Firefox I highlight the link, right-click and then open in new tab.

Old 06-17-16, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
They're not clickable links. You shouldn't have to highlight, copy and paste or right-click. I can open them with the copy and paste, so I'll edit the links above.

Old 06-17-16, 12:15 PM
F
Daisy, Ray's drawing in post #8 shows what you need to do. Essentially you add to more "blocks" on top of the plywood you have spanning the window track making a new track/groove/slot on the top of the plywood for the channel piece (the piece on the bottom of the A/C cabinet) to fit. The purpose of the channel steel is to secure the unit in the window to prevent it from being easily removed without raising the window and lifting the unit out of the slot

I'm going to go make my lunch and then I might go out for a couple of hours. I will return but don't hold your breath while I am gone.

Old 06-18-16, 08:14 AM
D
Wasn't able to get the a/c out of storage yesterday but I am getting it today so I will post it today. When I cut and paste the links, they work. Be back soon...

Old 06-18-16, 04:53 PM
D
Hopefully, this will make a little more sense now. Thank you for your patience.

If you look at the two pics below, you'll see that I told you incorrectly: the protrusion I was talking about does not go all along the bottom of the a/c. I'm going to now refer to this as the two white "knob" -like structures. Those two knobs are what is confusing me. They do NOT screw off. They lie directly underneath where the accordion panels fit, which tells me they're supposed to go on the inside of the window sill, where the window slams down to hold the a/c in place (am I right?).

If I've assessed this correctly, then because those knobs are wider than the inside of the window sill where they're supposed to fit, it looks like I can place them in one of two places:

1. Place the knobs on the inside of the window, sitting on the ledge.

UPSIDE: This feels much safer because it sits firmly on the window, it doesn't wobble, the knobs are pressed against the lid on the window so they can't fall out, and this position allows the a/c to tilt slightly downward to let moisture flow out.

DOWNSIDE: The accordion panels won't fit where they're designed to fit, which I think is on the inside of the window frame (?), which is metal. But, the outside of the window frame is wood so I might be able to screw them into the wood?

2. Place the knobs right smack on top of the window frame.

UPSIDE: My guess is this is ...kinda... where they're supposed to go? This does allow the a/c to tilt slightly downward to let moisture flow out. The accordion panels fit perfectly into the inside metal frame of the window.

DOWNSIDE: It feels really unsafe because the knobs aren't held securely on the inside of the window frame; they're just sitting on top of the frame. This would be the case if the frame was a board, too, because they protrude out of the bottom of the a/c. Feels like this spot may mean they'll wobble.

A couple hours ago, I took the a/c out of the box to photograph it for you and I lifted it onto the window myself and placed it where I thought it should go (to see if it felt right). I felt super uncomfortable putting it in the #2 position and quickly placed it in the #1 position. So I never slammed the window down in the #2 position -to be perfectly fair. But I DID slam the window down in the #1 position, and it wound up stuck. I could NOT get it out by myself. I walked around the block, looking for neighbors to help. One man came over and swore there was no way to get it unstuck. I finally found a guy that drove a tow truck and he came over and after about 10 minutes, got it unstuck. This made me feel it was super safe in the #1 position. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to deal with the accordion panels going into the wood on the outside of the frame, where they weren't intended to go, or if there's another problem I'm not thinking of.

*The A/C Heavy Duty Support is going to be underneath the a/c on the outside of the window. It holds the a/c on the underside, from north to south, in its middle. If I were to take the advice of putting a board(s) behind the frame of the window to support the knobs being up too high, that might be difficult with the A/C Heavy Duty Support going down the middle.

Your thoughts appreciated,

Thanks

Attached Images   

Last edited by daisygirl12; 06-18-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 03:39 AM
D
I'm not hearing back and it sounds like maybe nobody understands the problem. If someone can tell me how to post a diagram, I can try that. The "broomstick" idea helps to hold it in place -thanks.

Old 06-19-16, 07:16 AM
A diagram can be posted the same way as a picture if you do it in a Paint program or hand draw and scan.

Every A/C install is a bit different you just improvise as needed but that can be a hands on thing that can't always be done remotely. You may need to hire a handy man to do it if you can't improvise.

Old 06-19-16, 09:45 AM
D
hi Ray,
Thanks for your faithfulness

My concern is the two knobs on the bottom of the a/c (see Post #19 to view knobs).

Below, you'll see two drawings of the window. On the left is Plan #1, which has the knobs on the bottom of the a/c sitting on top of the frame (they don't fit inside the metal frame). On the right is Plan #2, which has the knobs of the a/c sitting on the inside window ledge, which is wood. Plan #2 feels safer but I'm not sure about the weight placed on the inside sill, so...

My new question is:
If I go with Plan #2 and place the knobs on the inside window ledge, will that place too much weight on this ledge? (Most of the a/c would still be supported by the A/C Heavy Duty Support).

To see where the A/C Heavy Duty Support will be screwed into, go to Post #1. It will be screwed into the mauve-colored section (wood) of that photo.

If I went with Plan #1, and if I took your suggestion about using a board to support the knob situation, the area where the board would sit is 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. That makes me uncomfortable because it's so small. Not secure.

thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-16, 11:20 AM
F
If I were actually there I might have better ideas but working only from your descriptions, pictures and drawings I would vote for the second method. I don't think you have anything to worry about, weight-wise, with the "knobs" (I would call them feet) resting on the inner window stool.

The important things are:
1. The unit has a slight downward tilt with the lower end being outside. Do not make it an excessive angle as it is supposed to have some water (condensate) in the pan that is caught by the "slinger ring" on the condenser fan and thrown onto the condenser coil to improve the efficiency.

2. Make sure the unit is far enough outside the window framing that none of the side vents in the case are obstructed.

3. Make sure that the unit is secure, won't fall out and cannot be removed from the outside.

4. Make sure the inside air filter can be removed and replaced.

The rest, as Ray stated, is a matter of site-specific engineering to achieve the four items I listed.

Old 06-19-16, 11:51 AM
One last suggestion I have is before you install it plug it in and see if it seems to work. I installed a brand new A/C from a factory sealed box for a customer and after I was all through it just wouldn't run, nothing. It was DOA. This was a bit more elaborate then yours because for safety the customer wanted plywood side panels not the accordion panels. Everything had to be removed so I could take it in and swap it.

Old 06-19-16, 12:28 PM
D
Thanks, Hurd and Ray -both great suggestions.

Ray, I just turned it on and it works. My 1st question below is about doing the exact same thing --adding boards instead of using the accordion panels. I have a dog with access to the window and she often climbs on it like a cat.

Can I ask a couple more questions? If yes... I rotated the photos but they're showing up sideways here, not sure why.

1. (Refer to photo below) The window frame where the accordion panels would now fit into an area they weren't designed to fit and the width of that area is 3/4" and it is wood. Instead of using the accordion panels, I prefer to use wood and shimmy it nice and tight in between the frame and the a/c on both sides. My question is: Will it work to use two separate wood boards and shimmy them on both sides? The gaps on the right and left of the drawing would have boards there. I'm asking because I see a lot of people cutting a square in the middle of a board and placing that in the window. But I don't see how the window will lock onto the top of the a/c tightly if I do that I'd have to cut it for the knobs, too, so it seems easier to just cut two boards. I was going to use the frames of the accordion panels but the window isn't wide enough for both of them.

2. (Refer to photo below) The A/C Support is not heavy-duty like I thought it was. Heavy Duty is 4.75 inches wide. The one in the photo below is 3.25 inches wide. The a/c is 61 pounds. The A/C Support says it will hold 160 pounds. My question is: Should I return it and purchase the 4.75 inch wide one instead, just because it's wider? Or does the width not matter?

Name:  AC support.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  window frame.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  21.8 KB

thank you

Last edited by ray2047; 06-19-16 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Rotate images.
Old 06-19-16, 12:45 PM
D
Turned it on for the first time and it works.

Old 06-19-16, 01:25 PM
I rotated the photos but they're showing up sideways here, not sure why.
Rotating your phone doesn't change the orientation embedded in the photo's coding. That has to be done with software. I rotated them for you
Should I return it and purchase the 4.75 inch wide one instead, just because it's wider? Or does the width not matter?
No absolute answer to that. It is what you feel works. If the narrow width works then go with it. I always made what I used from scratch. I am not familiar with premade solutions.

If boards on either side work best for you then do that. The weight of the A/C and the pressure of the window on the A/C should hold them in place.

I really can't give 100% answers to things that must be determined on site and will vary with the conditions of each installation.

Old 06-19-16, 03:21 PM
F
My comments would be the same as Ray's. Sometimes it is easier to hold the A/C case tight against one side of the window framing (use some soft foam rubber to seal) and then use a single wider piece of plywood to close the gap on the opposite side. Again, each installation will have some "field engineering" to make it fit well.

Old 06-20-16, 06:23 AM
D
Thank you for the help, it really comes in handy. This is a helpful website.

I'm wondering if, just for today and maybe tomorrow, is it okay to place the a/c on the floor and turn it on for a few hours?

I've got the measurements for the boards and the 'broomstick' boards and will be getting that today but I don't know that I can have it installed today and the temps will be in the 100's. I've got pets that I want to keep cool.

Old 06-20-16, 07:09 AM
An air condition does not make cold air. It just moves heat outside. If it is setting in a room it will do nothing but move the heat around.

Old 06-20-16, 07:14 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No you can not place it on the floor. Where would the hot air discharge too? Also the water? When you close the window on top of the L bracket will determine on the most part where the bottom will sit. Have a slight pitch outside. Somewhat easy in and out to install and yes you need to close the window. Looks like a smallest unit and the weight should be ok. till you rig something else. Ray beat me to it.

Old 06-20-16, 08:00 AM
D
Ok thanks, I didn't know

Old 06-20-16, 08:32 AM
G
If it was me, I would place the bottom brackets with the holes in front of the bottom tracks of the window. Close the window and go outside a place a brick or something to build up the outside where it's painted brown for now. Good luck.

Old 06-24-16, 11:27 AM
D
I no longer have help installing this window a/c and don't want to pay a handyman and I'm wondering if you all can tell me: Can a person that's never used a drill and installed a window a/c follow the directions and install it by themselves? I have lifted it several times and placed it in the window for measurements. I'd get a drill, use the right bits, use the right screws, etc.

I just ordered a 2nd A/C Heavy Duty Support; see below. This is an L-shaped bracket that screws outside the home and the a/c sits on top of it. I'm putting one on both sides of the a/c because the center of gravity is not in the middle. They will both be screwed into the mauve-painted section of the outside of the window (see Post #1, last picture on the bottom). The manufacturer of the Heavy Duty Support says to place it three inches from the middle (to the right) and that seems like it won't hold correctly since the center of gravity (according to the manufacturer) is "on the right in the rear." My second question is: Isn't it better to place it all the way to the right?

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 06-24-16, 12:43 PM
You can sometimes over think things. Sometimes you just have to try it. If it works accept it as the correct solution.

If you are going to buy a drill I suggest a 3/8" corded not battery operated. More power and since you probably won't use it often you will have it ready to go when you need it not a dead battery that needs charging.

Old 06-26-16, 10:19 AM
D
I won't know if it works until I try it and I have to drill holes first. There's no room for mistakes on where to drill because holes are drilled across the outside sill already. The weight is on the right of the a/c (19 inches wide).

If somebody has a preference... Would you place the 3-inch support bar three inches to the right of the middle like the support bar manufacturer suggests or would you place it all the way to the right? Seems like it matters because, when I lift it, it falls over to the right.

thanks

Old 06-26-16, 10:40 AM
G
Cool

Favor the heavy side. If we were in it for the looks I would be on the cover of GQ mag.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...cons/icon6.png

Old 06-27-16, 05:38 PM
D
Thank you

This is a little nerve-wracking because I don't have any help. I have 2 more questions.

To get what I am asking, please refer to post # 1, last photo down. I'm talking about the mauve-painted area, which is the outside sill, made of wood.

The measurement of the drop from where the a/c sits in the window to the mauve-painted wood sill is 3 inches. I have to screw a board onto that mauve area so that I can place the a/c support (L-shaped bracket) over it (that's going to take the weight off the sill and help support the a/c). I can easily screw the board into the mauve-painted sill -that part's not a problem. The problem is: The manufacturer of the a/c support (L-shaped bracket) includes screws with the bracket that are designed to go into concrete because they want you to screw the a/c support into concrete (into the building). Those screws are 5/32 and 3 inches long. Since the measurement of the area from where the a/c sits in the window to the mauve-painted wood is also 3 inches, those screws are too short. I need at least another 2 inches... unless I'm not going to screw the a/c support into the concrete. So my question is:

1. Is it safe to screw the a/c support board (L-shaped bracket) into the wood and not the sill/the building?

2. If it's not safe, I need longer screws. They need to be at least 4-5 inches (5/32 bit so they go into the L-shaped bracket). Do they make 5/32 screws that go into wood and concrete that are 5 inches long?

THANK YOU

Old 06-27-16, 06:11 PM
G
Most places would not have any concrete anywhere around the window. If you secure the wood you built up, good I think you will be fine. I think the makers of the L bracket are trying to cover their butts if something should fail.

Old 06-27-16, 09:03 PM
D
Hi... THANKS... Just want to make sure... You're saying to screw the board into the sill, then screw the a/c support into the board but not the sill?

Is there such a thing as a 5/32 screw that's 5 inches long or longer?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: