3/8" miter for an abandoned table saw

Old 10-23-16, 05:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3/8" miter for an abandoned table saw

Skil made a 3102 table saw, essentially a circular saw minus the guards, installed in a typical gimbal arrangement, mounted under a table. I had sold my table saw about 3 years ago, but now I needed one. I found this model table saw in a storage unit, but uhh.... Where is the fence? Where is the miter?

Took it home, powered it up, it ran good, had minimal motor thrust play, so hey, why not? The find was fortunate for my current living arrangement where I fix stuff in the house of my future mother-in-law. Cheesy, compared to the Delta I used in wood shop, but adequate for hobby work.

Of course these are missing. Sigh. Someone didn't think these parts should stay with the table saw.

Did some research, the miter slot is... dang. 3/8", not the current 5/8" defacto standard. My slot is a rectangular slot, too, not a tee-slot.

Thus, the saw is an uncommon design.

Skil can't find that model. A common tool parts website lists a diagram for my saw model, but the missing miter and fence are shown as 'obsolete, no longer available'.

Bah.

Miter: I visited the local Sears with my Lufkin tape measure, and checked a few power tools. A bandsaw on display had a cheesy miter of the proper dimensions - good enough for my needs. Took a photo of the model number badge, went to Sears parts website, and a miter can be recreated from parts which Sears lists for that bandsaw which, as of October 10/2016, they are currently still selling. Model 124.21400 uses the same size miter as the Skil saw. Again, cheesy but better than nothing.

Here is the list I ordered, and the reults were surprising.

[table="width: 140, align: center"]
[tr]
[td]Description[/td]
[td]Sears Part #[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Aluminum bar[/td]
[td]S21400-93[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Knob[/td]
[td]S21400-97[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Gauge Base[/td]
[td]1-JL60040001-001S[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Indicator[/td]
[td]1-1506003-01016S[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Strange, the parts diagram was clear about the gauge base being just one component, but what came to me in my delivery was labeled with the number for the gauge base alone, yet was in fact delivered as a complete miter for the price of the gauge alone. Somehow, I would not trust the error will happen too many more times, but even if the part number delivered only the gauge base, I'd still have all the items to make one. The only thing I did NOT order was a common screw.... something like an 8/32. Wasn't interested in paying $5.49 for that.

The fence will have to wait until a future project arises which needs it.

HTH.

PS: Yes, I know, this is weak. I already said cheesy.

Old 10-23-16, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I'm looking, but I do not see a question.

Old 10-24-16, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No question was intended to be asked.

In accordance with this site being titled 'Do It Yourself', and this forum being subtitled 'Advice and Information Forums', my post explains how I recreated a very obscure miter for a still useful power tool; I posted for the benefit of anyone else who has need of a 3/8" miter and cannot locate such.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: