Need help with Bandsaw project for Engineering Design Class

Old 03-02-17, 01:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with Bandsaw project for Engineering Design Class

Hello,

My teacher for my design class has issued an assignment with very little background information (as they do). The purpose is for us to determine all of the information we need; however I am having trouble. The project is to design a mechanical system which would ultimately be a bandsaw. The only items provided to my team and I are 4AA Batteries (6 Volts) and the actual 10" sawblade. I have spec'd a motor for 6 volts that runs at about 7610rpm, but the torque is pretty small. I am creating a gear train which will improve my torque, but this will also decrease me rpm. I was wondering if anyone knew at what point is this trade-off ineffective or if there is an optimal position between torque and rpm for a bandsaw.

Thank you for your time,
-Lucas

Old 03-02-17, 02:40 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Blade

Is the blade for cutting metal or is it for cutting wood?

Are you sure the blade is not a scroll saw blade?

Old 03-02-17, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! There is too much in your post that is suspect. First, AA batteries won't run a band saw, no matter how it is geared. There's just not enough amp hours to perform. I have never seen a 10" band saw blade, but I bet it is cute.

Fill out your profile so we can know where you are located. Much of the information on this forum is tendered as advice to the North American area, so we may not have the right information without your information.

Old 03-02-17, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
We do not do people's homework here........Any answers you might get here would be cheating.

You need to get together with your team and brainstorm.

Old 03-02-17, 04:04 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
But I will give you a hint, because I am a nice guy and have been a student a few times....

Research the types of materials to be cut (and the number of teeth per inch on the blade impact this) to find out the optimum blade speed (in feet or inches per minute) to cut that material and go from there.

The amount of power available will mostly determine how fast you can cut.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: