Is there a 2.25" to 4" anti-static hose for Festool 583493 CT 36?

Old 03-12-17, 08:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a 2.25" to 4" anti-static hose for Festool 583493 CT 36?

I have the Festool 583493 CT 36 E HEPA Dust Extractor and I want to use it with the Dewalt DW735X planer. Unfortunately the dust hose on the back of the Dewalt planer is either 2.5" or 4" and I believed the port on the Festool 583493 CT 36 is 2.25". What are my options? I don't seem to find a good solutions on Amazon or site. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-12-17, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Looks like an excellent dust control unit. I'm guessing from the prices it's very effective.

They have several different adapters listed on their site as well as different sized hoses.
Scroll down to accessories. festoolusa/ct-36-hepa-dust-extractor-583493

The adapters look pricey and it looks like Fernco fittings, which come in many different combinations, may work for you too.

Name:  fernco.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  4.1 KB

Old 03-13-17, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Fernco (rubber boot) fittings are available in the plumbing section of home centers and any plumbing supplier will also have them.

Old 03-13-17, 05:51 AM
C
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, those Festool adapters and hose are ridiculousness expensive; however, I looked through and I don't think I see a 2.25" to 4" adapter or hose. I'll check out the Fernco fittings. My only other issue is that the port on the Festool ct-36 port accepts a female so the one pictured here isn't going to work. If I use this Fernco fittings on the Dewalt DW735 planer, it'll work there but I still need a that is 2.25" in diameter and has a male that will fit the port on the Festool ct-36 end.

Old 03-13-17, 08:04 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have occasionally made up adapters when I couldn't find anything readily available. For example, if you cut a 4" circle out of Mdf or similar, drill a hole in it to friction fit the hose from the extractor, you can then use a 4" to 4" fernco to attach the adapter to the dust port on the planer. I find it useful to drill the hole a little smaller than needed and then file a taper into it to hold the hose tightly.

Be aware, however, that planers produce a high volume of relatively large chips. Normally one would use a dust collector with a 4" or larger inlet and 4" hose to the planer, so you may find the smaller hose clogs quickly.

Old 03-13-17, 10:34 AM
C
CarbideTipped, since I do not want to purchase a dust-collector, at least for now, and I already got the Festool CT36, your idea brought to this idea.

Name:  102713438.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  23.6 KB

Perhaps I can hookup my Festool ct36 to a bucket and from the bucket go to a 4" hose that will connect to the 4" port on the back of the Dewalt planer. Even if I found an adapter to go with my Festool ct36, the planer blows so much dust/wood that it will eventually clogged the 2.25" hose as it did last weekend with 1.5" hose. So, if the majority of the bigger dust/chips/wood goes to the bucket, it may prevent my Festool ct36 from clogging. Okay, then what's the best type of bucket with lid that will not let air out for this?

Old 03-13-17, 01:38 PM
C
I have a smaller, commercial version of that setup that I use between my shop vac and track saw, and it works well. A larger version might work OK for your planer, although you still won't have as much air moving as you would with a dust collector. But if you can keep the 4" hose fairly short, I'll bet it will work ok.

I have one of these Brute trash cans that I just use for trash, but it has a pretty sturdy lid that has flat areas that would work well for mounting fittings. It snaps on pretty well, I don't think it will leak much air:

Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute 32 Gal. Gray Round Vented Trash Can with Lid-FG863292GRAY - The Home Depot

It's a good idea to use an elbow inside the lid for the exhaust to it encourage the air to move in a circle inside the bin....that helps get the chips to settle out.

Old 03-14-17, 08:14 AM
C
Thanks! I found this one on Amazon. I may give it a try, else, I'll have to build it myself, currently I have too many diy projects at hand.

Thank you for all the responses.

Old 03-14-17, 07:56 PM
C
Okay, so I purchased a 2.25" to 2.5" adapter and turns out, the 2.25" that goes to the port of the Festool CT36 is a bit loose. Does anyone know the exact size of this port? Are there adapters that goes from this port to like 2" or 4" standard size?

Old 03-14-17, 08:49 PM
C
Your amazon link is the unit I have. 5 gallon bucket will fill up quick with a planer. Same company makes a larger version I think. The tapered inlet is a little hinky too...some 2 1/4 hoses sort of fit on it, but a couple of my hoses don't.

All the festool stuff is metric. I know their standard hose sizes are 27, 36, and 50 mm, but I don't know what the actual extractor port size is. Maybe 58 or 60mm if 2.25 is loose.

Wrap of duct tape works pretty well to tighten up a loose fit.

I wish manufacturers of vacuums and power tools would agree on 1 or 2 standard port sizes.

I've heard of a guy that will 3d print custom fittings for you, but don't have a link.

Old 03-15-17, 06:36 AM
C
CarbideTipped, thank you for the response. I didn't see the bigger bucket; thus, I settled for the 5 gallon. I guess I'll just have to empty it often then.

Yes, I measured and the extractor inlet port is like 57.75mm in diameter. Your suggestion about 3D brings me to another thought. One of the guys at our work place has a 3D printer that he has been playing with. Perhaps I can ask him to make one for me, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: