What are holes in mitre saw fence for?

Old 03-26-17, 01:25 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What are holes in mitre saw fence for?

There are holes in the fence of my Delta compound mitre saw which I assume must be there for something - an accessory of some sort but I don't find any reference to this. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything. Below is a link to a closeup view of a similar model where the holes are clearly visible.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

https://img.sifmimages.com/clients%2...600&height=520

Old 03-26-17, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I have used those holes to fasten boards to make the gap in the fence more narrow.
You can also fasten a custom support for an odd shape like cutting the end off of a tapered piece of wood.

Old 03-26-17, 03:57 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Once use them to attach a piece of wood with a stop so I could cut a whole lot of pieces at the exact length.

I also have a Dewalt with holes for a set of clamps for cutting cove molding so accessories is a possibility.

Old 03-26-17, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I put a longer board on fence to help with larger boards. They won't wobble when you push them through saw.

Old 03-26-17, 04:21 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Holes:
On the end ,for extensions (as mentioned)
On the fence for a sacrificial piece when cutting (wide/tall) molding
On the bottom, to secure the saw to a base table with screws.
and also in conjunction uses previously mentioned.

Old 03-26-17, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't know what the manufacturer had in mind, but I had one with holes in it once and it was perfect for making a stop. I cut a piece of 2x2 about 6" long, and ran a slot through the middle of it from 1" in on each end to line up with the outside hole. I used a carriage bolt and wing nut to set the stop where I wanted it. Just loosen the nut and slide the piece to where I wanted it and tighten it up.

Old 03-26-17, 04:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
In order to cut larger base moldings or crown on a 12 saw with the stock in the upright position, it is sometimes necessary to mount a 2x4 on the fence so that the stock you are cutting sits further out on the deck so the blade will pass all the way through the molding instead of getting 90% through and you have to hand shave the last bit off. So, think of a round blade and the safety guard as getting in the way if you cut against the fence. Moving the stock out 1 1/2" allows the blade at its deepest part of the arc of a circle to reach all the way through the stock to make a full cut. The holes allow you to screw your 2x4 stock solid to make a revised fence that stands further out from the original fence.

Old 03-28-17, 03:43 PM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I appreciate all the input!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: