Hydraulic Jack OIL alternatives?

Old 06-20-17, 06:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hydraulic Jack OIL alternatives?

OK so I heard you can substitute motor oil to top off you jack fluid if you're in a pinch.
But I also remembering seeing they are selling a trany and jack oil hybrid?
So does that mean I would be better off topping off with trany fluid?
I am sure getting spun around? just needed a few spoonfuls.
Does this also mean this is just a temporary thing, that you should eventually change out mixed oil and put the correct one in your jack? PS is it ever recommended to change oil or just top off?
hope this is posted in a appropriate section?
THX

Old 06-20-17, 06:05 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I heard of using transmission fluid but not motor oil. Why can't you get some hydraulic oil?

Old 06-20-17, 06:26 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
You should fine hydraulic jack oil at your local auto parts store. I understand not needing much of it, and something else might work, but I doubt that you're going to put transmission fluid in your engine, or vice versa, so why not use the proper oil in your jack?

Old 06-20-17, 06:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Transmission oil will work but as the others have said, why not buy a small bottle of jack oil? I use the hydraulic oil for my tractor but I don't think you can buy it in containers less than 2 gallon. I think jack oil is sold by the pint and quart.

Old 06-20-17, 08:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Boy you guys are thorough! I did manage to buy a small bottle of Jack Oil. Also Decided to drained it while I was at it! The main reason I asked was the first 2 stores I went to including Wally World only sold 2 gallons As Marksr Mentioned! Just thought I would pick your brains lol!
Now I wish I had the manual in order to purge correctly but seems I got it pretty close since it goes up a lot further than it did!
thanks

Old 06-20-17, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Fill jack when it is all the way up. Leave cap loose or off as you may overfill and will run out when lowered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: