reduce/deaden hand power tool noise?

Old 07-29-17, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
reduce/deaden hand power tool noise?

Any ideas on whether it's very possible to deaden or reduce the noise from hand size electric power tools such as an angle grinder or sander for example, tools like that? And I mean the sound of the electric motor inside making its regular operating sound, not the sound of the actual grinding. Could one maybe try wrapping/attaching some kind of sound absorbing/deadening material around the exterior housing (as long as any venting isn't blocked by the material) and expect that to help reduce the noise much? I realize of course that I can wear earplugs or sound muffs, but for neighbors and other people nearby who might be bothered by the loudness of the sound I'd like to somehow reduce the noise in that manner if possible. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 12:34 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't wrap anything around a power tool although it might work. It might cause it to overheat. What time of day are you making noise?

Old 07-29-17, 12:48 PM
Yeah of course I wouldn't want it to overheat and that would be why I'd be reluctant to attempt to wrap anything around it too. But I just wonder if it'd be fine if I made sure as I mentioned not to cover any venting designed into in the housing. So if I didn't cover any venting wouldn't that eliiminate the chance of it overheating?

Working/using the power tool(s) during the day; not at night.

Old 07-29-17, 01:02 PM
S
If you don't block the vents, it should be fine. I don't know how much it would reduce the noise. Are you working outside or in a garage? How close are the neighbors? Maybe you can do a test. For example, turn on a table saw & walk down the block. See how far the noise travels. Or put the angle grinder in a vice & run it.

Old 07-29-17, 01:36 PM
If you don't block the vents, it should be fine.
Okay I definitely will not block the vents.

I don't know how much it would reduce the noise.
I don't either. Maybe a little, or maybe significantly. And I wonder what kind of material would work decently for the sound deadening?

Are you working outside or in a garage?
Working outside, can't do the work in a garage.

How close are the neighbors?
Just right next door, close enough. And other people standing around and coming and going close to where I'm working too.

Maybe you can do a test. For example, turn on a table saw & walk down the block. See how far the noise travels.
Naw I already know how much the noise travels. And I'm not running a table saw it's mostly an angle grinder and a sander on a deck, sanding off old paint and stain etc.

Or put the angle grinder in a vice & run it.
Not an option.

Old 07-29-17, 04:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I wear ear protection when using most power tools. It's the easiest and cheapest way to reduce the noise to my ears. If working outise and not trying to annoy the neighbors I'd say you've got a difficult problem. You might wrap the tool to quiet the gear and motor noise but the minute you start working I think the sanding/grinding itself will generate as much noise negating the sound deadening. Still, it sounds like a fun experiment.

I have a couple sound level meters I use to keep track of noise after noticing hearing loss in my right ear, the ear close to the slipping clutch of cordless drills. You can purchase inexpensive ones online for about $15. If nothing else it's a fun toy and can lend an impartial ear to what's making noise and how much.

Old 07-29-17, 06:06 PM
I think the sanding/grinding itself will generate as much noise negating the sound deadening. Still, it sounds like a fun experiment.
Actually it seems the grinding/sanding itself is the lesser of the noise compared to that emanating from the motor(s) in these tools. I did go ahead and try with some 3/4 inch foam rubber on the grinder body and lo and behold it did help, some.

I was thinking maybe if I blasted some music really loud while I was doing the work with the power tools outside maybe if loud enough it could drown out the sound of the power tools then. Was just a thought.

Old 07-29-17, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
The only time I have ever worried about people making noise at work was when either the customer or I were trying to talk or were on the phone. Otherwise it is what it is. The worker wears ear protection and if it's too noisy for anyone else they will go away.

Old 07-29-17, 06:17 PM
S
I was thinking maybe if I blasted some music really loud
It has to be music that they like. I had a neighbor who blasted Mozart for 3 hrs. as revenge because another neighbor had a part the night before. It was the most annoying thing that I ever heard, worse than gangster rap.

Old 07-29-17, 06:30 PM
it is what it is
Yes, it cetainly is, what it is.