Hilti Hammer Drill Vintage model TE-17 how to switch to chisel mode?

Old 09-04-17, 01:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hilti Hammer Drill Vintage model TE-17 how to switch to chisel mode?

This hammer drill is Old School really works great. Only problem is I can't figure out how to switch it to "chisel" mode from drill mode. I have searched on line but haven't turned up anything. My pneumatic air hammer chisel died and I need this real bad!!!

Old 09-04-17, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I have some of their newer drills so I had to investigate this older model. Apparently it will drill only or hammer and drill.

The machine offers no hammering-only function. For that you need special chisel bits with the coupling recesses having been fretted away on a lathe. These chisels in fact slip inside the drill bayonet coupler, meaning that the coupler turns round idly around the chisel shaft and only the hammering energy is transferred to the chisel tip or edge.
(From gerhard @ the woodworks forum.)

Old 09-05-17, 10:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Pjmax, I guess the honeymoon is over between me and the TE-17. It's just that it is so retro and cool looking. I have a Hilti TE-5 and a TE-1 but I haven't checked yet to see if they have a chisel mode. I love that TE-5 it'll put a hole through anything without even a grunt, but the chuck is bad and needs to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: