Impact driver & impact ready drill bits

Old 11-13-17, 06:52 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Impact driver & impact ready drill bits

I have a Ridgid brand 18V impact driver.

I have a problem with the impact when I use impact ready hex shank drill bits. For example when I put a 1/4" bit in and drill into a 2X4 the bit would work fine - it is when I retract the drill after the bit reached it desired depth sometimes (I say 30% of the time) the bit would stay in the lumber and slip out.

I made sure the bit is properly secured in the collet, but for some reason the bit would slip out of it from time to time when I pull back.

I do understand I am really not supposed to drill with a driver, but sometimes I do especially when it's just predrilling for screws and when I am on a ladder and don't want to be handling two tools.

Is it just a poor design or is this a defect? Anyone else have similar experiences with their impact driver when used this way?

Old 11-13-17, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
That sounds like a defect. If the bit pushes in and locks..... there is a problem.

Old 11-13-17, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Does it have a collar that has to be retracted to remove the bit? If so, check to make sure the collar is fully in whatever position is "lock". Little bit of grit or grease up in the collar parts or maybe a bit that is just a smidge too long to fully seat can cause that. Also, when drilling, fully drill the hole and keep the driver running for a bit, don't just stop and pull back. Make sure the hole is a clear as possible of debris, then reverse the driver and back it out. Heck, the buttons are right under you thumb and finger aren't they? Does it do it with all size bits? Was this a set you bought or are there various brands.

I know if it were me, I'd either try another brand bit or possibly just run a file over the end a few times to shorten the shank just a touch and see if it continues.

Old 11-14-17, 05:37 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes the bit pushes in and locks. I tried to pull it out and it won't. But after drilling it will slip out of the drill. Frustrating.

I do keep the bit rotating as I retract. Both forward and backward directions tested, doesn't matter. It happens intermittently.

It happens with all size bits, but the ones I used most often 3/16, 5/16, 1/4 it happens on. I may get a different brand and see if it makes a difference.

I do have another set of spade bit by Bosch, but that one doesn't have that problem since once the drilling is done there is no friction holding the bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: