Hmmm, no real hand tools Forum?

Old 12-17-17, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hmmm, no real hand tools Forum?

Ok, maybe I've just missed it so I'll ask here.

Subj: Hand staplers (T50) style

Of course there's the old standby chrome Arrow T50, but my hands don't (and have never) like that one much. They can work and last forever, I know, but they just don't work that well for my needs.

Had a PowerShot 9000 which was perfect, until it and it's case were stolen by some miscreant at a kids event I was helping with. Replaced with a PowerShot 5700, which was not of the same quality and eventually went in the trash after it misfired and jammed it's final staple.

Took a while til I finally bought an "ergonomic" T50HS (biggest POC I ever used) which broke about the 5th use due to poor design and materials. Also found it wasn't very good at close work because of it's forward slanting shape. Anyway, another is in the mail per warranty and I'll just give that away to someone I don't really like.

So, other than a T50, anyone have any recommendations on a good manual stapler that doesn't take monster hands or hand strength (the first I never had, the second I've somewhat lost due to injury). I don't have that many options to actually lay hands on one. Most of the places around here carry pretty much the same limited items. It may say Craftsman, but it's the same darn thing as the Apollo at KM or Hyper Tough at WM. Do I really need to spend $30 for the Dewalt, which looks like an actual qualityitem. I mean, it looks like a couple of the Surebonders are viable, and I've had some of their products for 30 yrs.

Old 12-17-17, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Duofast CS5000 wide crown stapler. It's not a T50... takes Duofast staples. But the adjustable knob that controls the spring tension is what makes it such a pleasure to use. It will be the last stapler you buy.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Duo-Fast-CS50...uo+fast+cs5000

Old 12-17-17, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 730 Posts
I have a requirement that any staple gun I buy needs to take T50 staples because I can remember them.

I have a Stanley TR150HL which works pretty well. Will sometimes shoot through steel corner bead. Not too much needed with hand strength and does not jamb too often.

I just picked up a black Friday sale DeWalt gun DWHTTR510 5 in 1 multi tacker. Not sure what to make of it. It says it takes T50 staples but when I loaded it the slot was too big and the staples flopped around when closing it and it jammed right away. I have not used it on a job yet so we'll see. =\

The one that Sleeper posted is what I see all the tapers use on the job, if that tells you anything.

Old 12-17-17, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The one that Sleeper posted is what I see all the tapers use on the job, if that tells you anything.
Funny you mention that... I actually fished mine out of jobsite dumpster years ago... it was covered in dried joint compound... obviously used to be a taper's. Took it home, cleaned it up, now it works great!

Old 12-17-17, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Scott.... probably needs Swingline staples.

I have an old Swingline electric stapler. Works awesome. Will not work on Arrow staples. The Swingline staples are a bit wider.

Old 12-17-17, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 730 Posts
Scott.... probably needs Swingline staples.
I made sure it said on the package that it takes T50's per my requirement I posted above.

Old 12-17-17, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I looked quickly at the Dewalt 5in1. Got the same kind of reviews as the POS I bought. How can it possibly work well with T50, JT21, T25 and T20's w/o some sort of adapter/manual change. When 1/2 the reviews are 1's, I drop that one.

I'm like TI, I'm not going to go with different staples that I would probably have to special order around here. What would I do with the 10,000+ staples I already have? Or when the neighbor borrows it and loads it with T50's...lol.

Same problem with some of the Surebonder models, they use the same Duofast kind or their brand.

So that's what the knob on some of them is for. Funny most don't mention it's purpose.

Somehow I feel many purchases and many returns in the future. Heck, maybe buy 'em all at once and test side by side, then return 'em all and buy cheaper online. Nahhhh, even I wouldn't do that.

Old 12-18-17, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, the online battle is basically a bust. Just looking at a few places in person today, I realized a couple of things. Most any of the ones that say ergonomic or light weight or that can be adjusted for power with a lever...are out of the running. Reason is, they all have an outer case over the actual steel parts that drive the staples, which means the actual staple comes out up to a 1/4" behind the front of the gun. Any that have any sort of rounded front put it even further back. So, looks like most of the Surebonders, Dewalts and Stanleys are kaput. Leaves me with Arrow (regular plain old T50), the Stanley one mentioned here, a Surebonder that looks like a T50 clone, and one other I hesitate to name (actually can't remember...lol). Oh well...

Just wanted to let you know the non outcome, since it will be on the back burner for a while...til after Xmas, when I RETURN the TWO replacement POC's Arrow sent me for some reason. I don't know anyone I dislike enough to give them as gifts, so I figure I'll return them as gifts somewhere and get store credit. Let them sell them again or RTV and get credit.

Old 12-19-17, 03:02 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Vic, do you need it to be a manual stapler? I have monster hands, or so I've been told, but even in my younger days I had trouble squeezing a T-50. These days it absolutely takes both hands. I have a friend, a petite woman, that several years ago told me about reupholstering some chairs and she had to buy an electric stapler.

A few years ago I bought an inexpensive combination nailer/stapler from Harbor Freight that specifically stated it used T-50 staples. I did so because, like you, I have a gazillion T-50 staples of various lengths and being the cheapo I am I just couldn't see myself chucking them and buying a similar bunch of slightly different staples. I've only used the stapler a few times but it works just fine. Of course there is the added requirement of needing a compressor but the compressor has so many other uses I would need one anyway. Plus, a stapler (or nailer) can usually get by with a very small (read, inexpensive) compressor.

Old 12-19-17, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
All I've ever used is the Arrow T50 but Furd brings up a good point, I've worked with carpet guys that use electric staple guns so that might be another option.

Old 12-19-17, 08:35 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I have an electric Stanley stapler that my was my mom's, guessing maybe she bought it around the time we were insulating their cabin, and I wondered what I would ever do with it, but it actually works pretty good. Not something that I would take on a roof for felt, of course that's what slap hammers are for anyway, but it shoots T50's, and does a good job of it. I put up a lot of attic baffles with it, and it beats the heck out of trying to squeeze one of my Arrows at full arm reach or whatever.

Old 12-20-17, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, air or electric wouldn't work for how I would use it, appreciate the advice though.

Think I'll just work my way through what HD has...buy it, give it a good workout for a couple of days doing all the things I've done with 'em in the past, then return it if it's junk. I'll probably wind up with a T50 and a lighter duty model for targets, signs and such.

I was wrong before, I had a Powershot 8000, which I could still get used on ebay, case and all. I really liked how I could carry a box of mixed staples with it in the case, so it was just a grab and go sorta thing. The 5700 they make now is what I had last, and it was good for about 25 yards. That's approx how far I threw it when I'd had enough of the misfires and jams.

Thanks for all the replys!

Old 12-20-17, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I have a 40 year old arrow unit... It served me well, but I bought a stanley unit years ago. Reason its a series 200 t50. I have so many t50's staples, and like Joel I just didn't want to throw them away...

But main reason I bought the stanley is that it shoots finishing nails. as well as the oval tacks..

I just removed the top bunk in the camper and used it to tack up the luan and trim... I have to pull out the staples I tried as I ran out of the brads... Shoots up to 5/8's brads... Love it...

Attached Images      
Old 12-21-17, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, on the off chance, I stopped by Tru Value the other day. Turns out they had Surebonders. So, I got the one that does T50 staples and brad nails since that's what my PS8000 did.

It's basically a not quite as heavy duty (or heavy) Arrow T50 type design but with adjustable power, a bit better ergonomics and a slightly smaller overall size. Seems just as well made as a T50. Even has a way to collapse the handle down to the frame and lock it in position for storage. Seems to work well, wouldn't quite set 9/16 staples flush into a cedar board at high power, which is pretty normal I'd say.

Will be doing a longer term function test with different size staples, broken sticks, and mixed size staples in the near future. If it passes with a 90% score, it's a keeper.

Oh, did I mention it was only $13+tax?! Perfect price point IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: