3/8" 25ft Air Hose/Reel

Old 03-05-18, 12:02 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
3/8" 25ft Air Hose/Reel

I'm looking to buy a 3/8" air hose reel with 25' hose for my garage. It's been a while since I've purchased air parts, so I'm looking for some recommendations. For instance, what brands are the best, which ones to avoid (Cox Reels, Reelcraft, Speedaire). I thought of going with a 50' hose, but I really don't need that much length. Plus I don't want any more pressure drop than I can help. I see seemingly similar ones ranging from $79 to $300 even amongst the same brand. Not clear what the difference is.

BTW, the reel will be wall mounted, and the reel/housing needs to be all metal (no plastic).

If I find one I like with a 50' hose, can I swap the hose with a 25' or is the hose a fixed to the reel?

How critical is it that the fittings on the reel are 3/8" (I see some with 3/8" hoses that have 1/4" fittings)? Seems like 3/8" hose should have 3/8" fittings.

Last edited by mossman; 03-05-18 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-18, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,107 Votes on 1,027 Posts
I had.... the key word is had.... two different reels. One was a pretty good one but always leaked a little air. The other one wouldn't lock the spool where it was stopped.

I ended up hanging the hose on the wall.

Old 03-05-18, 01:36 PM
M
I ended up hanging the hose on the wall.
I may do just that. Get a garden hose bracket and hang the air hose on it. Come to think of it, pulling on a hose connected to a ratcheting reel in a single car garage with a car parked between me and the reel sounds like it would get a little irritating. That being said, this should do the trick:

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-18, 03:56 PM
Received 365 Votes on 341 Posts
Ive lived with that hose real for 30 years and just picked up a 50' 1/2" reel that is all mounted but have been waiting for the weather to warm up a little so I can do the copper plumbing.

Just stay away from the cheap Harbor Freight junk and you'll be fine. I picked up a new Coxreel on eBay for $90 that retailed for $175 so I cant wait!!

Old 03-06-18, 08:46 AM
M
Ive lived with that hose real for 30 years and just picked up a 50' 1/2" reel that is all mounted but have been waiting for the weather to warm up a little so I can do the copper plumbing.

Just stay away from the cheap Harbor Freight junk and you'll be fine. I picked up a new Coxreel on eBay for $90 that retailed for $175 so I cant wait!!
This will be for home shop/garage use, and the largest tool is my 1/2" impact driver. Would it be beneficial to run 3/4" copper from compressor to regulator (about 40'), then switch to 1/2" from regulator to hose (6 feet)?

Old 03-06-18, 09:15 AM
That is how I have my garage plumbed, 3/4 copper.

Have always used 3/8 hoses but opted for 1/2 for the new reel.

The only concern is the fitting needed to get from the 1/2 hose male thread to the 1/4" quick connect, it may be a bit a bit large hanging at the end of the tool.

I was thinking of using a short piece of my 3/8 hose to have a short whip to keep that fitting away from the tool.

Old 03-06-18, 10:40 AM
M
That is how I have my garage plumbed, 3/4 copper.

Have always used 3/8 hoses but opted for 1/2 for the new reel.

The only concern is the fitting needed to get from the 1/2 hose male thread to the 1/4" quick connect, it may be a bit a bit large hanging at the end of the tool.

I was thinking of using a short piece of my 3/8 hose to have a short whip to keep that fitting away from the tool.
That's a good point (too bulky at tool inlet). I think I'll run 3/4" copper from compressor to regulator/drier, 1/2" copper from regulator/drier to hose, and use a 3/8" hose like I normally do.

Old 12-05-18, 09:44 AM
M
Have you been using your new reel? How is it holding up?

Old 12-05-18, 12:02 PM
It's been up since spring and gets a lot of use.

Honestly, if I were going to do it again I would probably just go with 3/8" hose.

I know there is a pressure drop but that 1/2 hose is heavy and bulky and now that winter has set in, it's stiff and always has the coil set.

That big block of brass to get the 1/2" thread to 3/8" is not a problem but just have to be aware as the hose rolls up so you dont get KO'd!

Old 12-12-18, 10:36 AM
M
I think I'll got with 3/8" then.

Has anyone ever used Pex for compressed air? It has a maximum rating of 160 psi at 74 degrees. I already ran 3/4" copper in the garage, and it would great to transition to Pex inside the basement ceiling and over to the compressor a few feet away. I would put a PVC sleeve around it in the exposed/vulnerable areas, which would only be about a 5 foot vertical section under the stairs down to the compressor. Soldering overhead in tight spaces in very close proximity to wood framing while standing on a ladder is not very fun. It would only be about a 2ft horizontal run and a 5 ft vertical run, so very small amount of Pex.