porter cable battery charger issues

Old 04-11-18, 09:07 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porter cable battery charger issues

I bought a porter cable power tool set exactly a year ago.

The last few days I noticed the batteries die after 5 minutes of use. Which was odd because I had just taken one of the batteries off the charger, which was saying it was fully charged.

I put the battery on the charger and immediately the charger is saying its "fully charged". The weird thing is, both batteries are saying fully charged when I put them on the charger but they are dead when I try using them.

There's no way....so I pulled the battery off the charger. Put it back on the drill and it immediately died. I put it BACK on the charger. The charger is saying its fully charged.

I've used them from time to time in the last year. But I haven't used them that much

Old 04-11-18, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since it's a relatively new tool..... it probably uses a PWM (pulse width modulated)/switching charging circuit. Instead of charging at a steady low voltage..... they pulse high voltage DC to the battery. These types of chargers are basically non repairable for a DIY'er.

You could post the model of the charger for further comment.

Old 04-12-18, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
I don't know if it's related to your problem but the batteries for my 19.2 volt craftsman tools occasionally don't want to charge [dead battery shows the green light on the charger] I found that if I wiggle the battery or remove and put it back on the charger I can finally get the red light to come on and it will charge. Sometimes it takes a good bit of fiddling with it to make it start charging.

Old 04-12-18, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
Is your tool still under warranty. If so that would be my first step.

Which battery technology does your tool use? There is a chance it might still be NiCad or NiMh though it's probably Lithium. What type you have will determine how fussy it is about charging.

Do you have a volt meter. Can you check the voltage of your battery pack?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: