Circular saw vs table saw. Is there really any difference??

Old 03-28-19, 06:16 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Circular saw vs table saw. Is there really any difference??

Hi all,

I'm looking at redoing my laundry incl. Some cabinetry so will be looking at cutting some melamine.

Because of this I'm looking at getting a new blade (80t) but not sure where I should invest my money.
I have both circular saw and table saw at home, only thing is my table saw is a bit small and just overall not great.
Can I get away with using a circular saw with a guide instead? Or is there some particular reason everyone uses table saws?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-19, 06:33 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Accuracy and overall safety comes to mind. However, if you're careful and smart enough to rig up straight edges and guides, you'll do OK with a Skill Saw.
If you buy a new table saw you can chalk it up to part of the expense on the remodel.

Old 03-28-19, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You will want to use a table saw, and sethe yourself up a couple tables on either side of the saw that are the same height as the top of your table saw. These will be in feed / out feed tables. Put a sheet of particle board on top of a pair of 2x4s to keep it flat.

Your blade should be specifically for melamine so that it doesn't chip the bottom as it blows through.

Don't use a skilsaw unless it's a tracksaw.

Old 03-29-19, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I was slow buying a table saw, after all I had a skilsaw. Today I couldn't imagine not having a table saw! If your table saw blade runs true and the fence works I'd just add support to simulate a bigger table. Never turn down an excuse to buy a new or better tool

Old 03-29-19, 04:51 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I agree with the table saw for what you described. And not what you asked, but since you mentioned that it is "a bit small and just overall not great", I'll add the reminder that a table saw is a stationary tool. For contractors, moving from one job site to the next, sure, it's common to see a table saw carried from a truck and set up on a set of horses or other makeshift workstation, or sometimes right on the floor or deck, depending on what they are doing. But at home, and especially for something like you will be doing, handling larger pieces of sheet goods for cabinets, you want the saw to remain stationary while you run the stock through it. You can make a solid stand at minimum cost out of some 2x4's, or you might even bolt it to a piece of plywood and clamp that to a good set of horses if it's not something that you want to leave set up all the time. Too many times I've seen guys "getting by" by setting a saw on a garbage can or whatever and that is an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention that a saw that is set up good and solid might very well go from "not too great" to "pretty darn good".

Old 03-29-19, 05:56 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Table saws are for precision cutting, circular saws are for rough, inaccurate cutting.

About the only time I every use the circular saw is for cutting sheets of plywood down to manageable sizes (wish I could justify a panel saw).

The other aspect is the blade, the best saw is never any better than the blade, don't scrimp and use them sparingly meaning if you are doing trash cuts, then you can use that nice sharp but cheaper blade!

Old 03-29-19, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Did someone say panel saw? Just got done with a melamine closet.

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-19, 06:12 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Sure. Go ahead and make us jealous. I want one now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: