Proper hammer for striking chisel?

Old 07-29-19, 08:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper hammer for striking chisel?

The metal head of my chisel is getting a bit dent from my steel head 16oz hammer. Am I using the wrong hammer or is it that the chisel is badly made? Should I be using a mallet instead?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-19, 09:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
The cheaper chisels are prone to their heads getting mushroomed. I have a small ball peen hammer I've used for yrs replacing U-joints and the round end has gotten completely flat over the yrs.

What type of chisel is it?

Old 07-29-19, 09:23 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Chisels come in a variety of flavors, so what type are you referring to? Wood chisels, I usually use a wood mallet, sometimes plastic, and have one set that I use for rougher work with which I will occasionally use a claw hammer, although, in my opinion, a claw hammer, including framing hammers, is never the "right" tool to strike any metal, including chisels. Block chisels I'll usually use my mason hammer for lighter work, or a 2 lb. driving hammer for heavier use. With cold chisels, more often than not I'll use a ball peen hammer, mostly as a matter of convenience because if you're pounding on something with a cold chisel you most likely are going to be using the ball peen too. Good wood chisels are an exception, but chisels in general do take a beating.

Old 07-29-19, 12:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
Denting usually occurs when you don't strike the chisel squarely. If you hit with the corner of your hammer face you'll get a smile shaped dent in the chisel. This also happens with anvil faces. If the hammer hits nice and flat it won't leave a dent.

Old 07-29-19, 02:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steel chisel from Canadian tire by mastercraft. $20 for a set of 3.

Old 07-29-19, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Depending on what I'm using it for I use a 1lb. 2lb or even a 4lb hammer with that type of chisel. I've had my cold chisels for 20+ yrs - some heads are mushroomed more than others.

Old 07-30-19, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
It is normal for a chisel head to deform slightly.
Touch it up on a grinder.