Is circular blade more powerful than straight blade?

Old 07-30-19, 02:15 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is circular blade more powerful than straight blade?

I always feel that circular saws are more effective than jig saws, angle grinders are more effective than reciprocating saws, and table saws are more effective than band saws. Is it true?

Top Answer

07-30-19, 03:02 PM
aka pedro
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
If you were to replace "are more effective" with "cut faster than", then I would say that it is true almost all of the time. Circular saws cut faster than jig saws, angle grinders cut faster than reciprocating saws, and table saws cut faster than band saws, but that does not mean they are more effective because, as Mark said, it depends on what you are cutting. I've cut a lot of things with a jig saw, reciprocating saw, or band band saw that might have been done a lot faster with a circular saw, angle grinder, or table saw, except that whatever I was doing would have been scrap because each one of these tools has unique characteristics, and there is a time and place for each of them. No comparison really, other than sometimes there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Old 07-30-19, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It depends on what you are cutting.

Old 07-30-19, 03:02 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
If you were to replace "are more effective" with "cut faster than", then I would say that it is true almost all of the time. Circular saws cut faster than jig saws, angle grinders cut faster than reciprocating saws, and table saws cut faster than band saws, but that does not mean they are more effective because, as Mark said, it depends on what you are cutting. I've cut a lot of things with a jig saw, reciprocating saw, or band band saw that might have been done a lot faster with a circular saw, angle grinder, or table saw, except that whatever I was doing would have been scrap because each one of these tools has unique characteristics, and there is a time and place for each of them. No comparison really, other than sometimes there is more than one way to skin the cat.

BurgerKing, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-30-19, 03:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It is more about the blade speed. Circular tools tend to spin at high rpm's so the cutting surface (teeth) is moving very fast. Reciprocating blades must come to a complete stop at each end of their stroke and move more slowly in between. They are very different cutting tools intended for different jobs. Each has it's own place in the shop.

BurgerKing voted this post useful.
Old 07-30-19, 05:18 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Next week after a few cocktails I'll bring this up with the guys, it's up there with some of the other enlightening conversations we've had.

Will post the final end all results!!

Old 07-30-19, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
"Effective" must not the English word you are looking for.

A circular saw is certainly not more "effective" in cutting a circle, for example. So what exactly are you asking? Which is more useful? Which might be used more often?

As mentioned, each has a purpose or special use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: