Log Splitter Won't Start

Old 08-20-23, 04:50 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Log Splitter Won't Start

I have a Wen 56208 electric log splitter that I bought in March 2020. I've been splitting about four cord a year with it, and have had no problems with it until now. I got some wood split today, then stopped to add hydraulic fluid. It registered on the dipstick but I topped it up anyway. The splitter worked for only a minute after that. I don't know if the hydraulic fluid add is related or not. I don't seem to be getting any power to the splitter at all. No buzz, no hum, nothing. I pressed what I think is the reset button on the circuit breaker but that didn't help. I'm using 100 ft of cord (I know) with two different gauges. I've always used the larger gauge (thinner cord) with it before without a problem. I unplugged the log splitter cord from the extension and plugged something else in to test the extension and it worked. Any ideas? Thanks,
Martha

Old 08-21-23, 06:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,114 Upvotes on 1,893 Posts
When you don't have an idea as to the problem I often start with power. First, I check that power is getting to the end of the cord. Then I check if power is getting to the machine's power switch. Then I check if power is passed on when the switch is turned on. Then is power making it to the motor connections... Along the way if the power stops that's a good place to look for the problem. You might have a bad switch, broken wire, blown fuse or fusable link.

Old 08-21-23, 11:34 AM
M
Thanks, so I need to buy a voltage tester?

Old 08-21-23, 02:15 PM
M
So, it seems to be the switch. I have electricity going in, but not going out. Each of the four wires (two going in and two going out) are connected to a little plate, and there are two screws in each plate. One of the two screws attaches the wire and it is accessible. The other screw is tiny and is inside where I can't reach it. One of those little screws on the ground wire going in, is very loose and the plate just kind of flops around. I don't see a way to tighten it. The switch part is Wen 56207-095. I'll go ahead and order a new switch - it's cheap enough - but it's annoying if all I need to do is tighten that little screw. That said, I'm pretty chuffed that I successfully used a voltage meter. Electricity repair - the final frontier.
Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: