How to stop ADT unmonitored system from beeping?

Old 01-19-15, 09:24 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to stop ADT unmonitored system from beeping?

I have an ADT alarm system that was originally installed by Brinks, then was taken over by Broadview, and finally taken over by ADT. The model number of the system is : BHS-4000A. The system is unmonitored. Once a day this system tries to call out to ADT but since it's not monitored it can't get through. Then the keypads sound a non-stop beeping sound. The only way to stop it is to go to a keypad and hit "Cancel" twice. How can I stop the system from automatically trying to call out every day? Or is there any other way to stop the key pads beeping when it can't reach ADT? Thanks.

Old 01-19-15, 10:15 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You can completely remove power from the panel by disconnecting the battery and then unplugging the transformer AC supply. This will, of course, completely disable the alarm system.

If you want to have a local-only alarm then you will need to replace the alarm panel itself as Brinks units are not conducive to being re-programmed.

Old 01-19-15, 10:24 PM
J
Unfortunately, Brinks used proprietary equipment and unless you have access to the programming (special keypad / method or remotely like ADT) you probably aren't going to be able to disable the dialer.

If you use it, my suggestion would be live with hitting cancel everyday or best option replace the panel board and any keypads. If you have wireless devices then they are honeywell 5800 series compatible but even the brinks receiver would need replaced to use a new panel.

Old 01-20-15, 01:29 PM
E
There must be a way for an electrician to open the key pads and disconnect the little wires that go to the speaker making the beeping. If anyone knows how to do this they could make a mint because there are MILLIONS of former ADT customers around the country that are being driven crazy by this BS. Are there any electricians out there who want to become a multi-millionaire?

Last edited by EdFlorida; 01-20-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 02:10 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
As Furd said, disconnect the battery and pull the AC supply line.

Editorial, comment and nothing but my opinion...follows

With the wireless systems now recently available in products like SimpliSafe, I don't understand why anybody would want the high priced ADT style systems. All home security systems have their strong and weak points but the OP points out one of the biggest flaws. Once its in, its in permanently, you can't take it with you, and you must call a professional or the original company to dis-arm it to avoid nagging beeps or subscribe to their surface. You can't change anything with out incurring additional cost.

I was recently given a SimpliSafe system by my daughter who installed one for herself. Truth be told I don't need it, but since she bought as a gift along with a years on-line monitoring I kind of had to installed it. First, it's easy, I can change sensor/ keypad locations at any time without cost or trouble. It's very configurable. You can add or subtract sensors any time and expand the system. The monthly dispatching on-line monitoring cost is about $25 a month. But you don't need it and still have alarm use in case of break-ins. And best of all if you move you take it with you.

Old 01-20-15, 02:38 PM
E
A couple points.. First, the problem with disconnecting the battery and pulling the plug is that it would disable the entire system. I wouldn't then be able to use it at all. I don't want to disable the system, I just want to use it unmonitored.

Second point about wireless systems.. That may work for many people but my wife is very sensitive to EMF waves. She even pulls the router out at night because she says the wireless EMF keeps her awake. There are articles everywhere arguing both the validity and non-validity of EMF sensitivity, but there are many people who feel - or claim they feel it. I have no standing to argue with them. This is why a wireless system wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 01-20-15, 03:23 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I do understand about people being sensitive to EMF waves. So in your case the wireless system would not be appropriate. In your first post you did not make it clear that you wanted to maintain the system but not monitor it. I think your only recourse is to hook up with ADT and ask them to disable the monitor portion if that is an option.

Old 01-20-15, 05:45 PM
E
Yep. I tried that. The guy from ADT came over to my house, pushed me out of the way and said "where's the board"? I showed him where the board was and he quickly said "Nothing I can do. You can unplug it if you want". Then he quickly walked out of the house. That's the kind of attitude ADT has toward it's customers. I have a "dispute" open with ADT in Angies List which they are just ignoring. They think they own the market so they don't have to worry about customer sat.

I think what I will do is use an electronic timer that turns off electricity to the board during daylight hours and turns it back on at night, when I usually set the alarm. I already disconnected the battery. That way I can have use of the system at night without it bugging me during the day.

I still think there is a market for someone who can create a video on YouTube showing people how to disconnect the wires to the keypad speaker so they never hear the beeping again. I think it would be a very popular video and would make the author some significant money.

Old 01-20-15, 06:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
It's a Brinks BHS 4000; there is no DIY solution. The piezo sounder is soldered directly to the keypad PC board (no wires to cut). You _might_ be able to pierce the sounder in the center with a small nail; but most likely it would make the keypad unusable.

When you have this hardware; your only choices are to work with Brinks/Broadcom/ADT or replace the system control and keypad(s).

Those "$99.00" alarm installations come with a price, and this is one of the big ones.

Old 01-20-15, 07:04 PM
E
Perhaps it's time for a class action lawsuit against ADT. I'll look into that.

Old 01-20-15, 07:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hate to say it; but good luck with that.

The Brinks hardware technically remains property of Brinks/Broadcom/ADT/Tyco (the name has morphed a few times over the last few years). Once you terminate the monitoring contract; they actually can come collect the hardware (which they never do, in practice).

Old 01-20-15, 07:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I can all but guarantee you that attempting to sue ADT will only drain your wallet. A more practical approach to your problem would be to replace your existing control and kepad(s) with units that YOU can program. This might cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 plus a few hours of your time. With the exception of the keypads your currently installed sensors should work with the new control.

Old 01-27-16, 08:23 PM
B
Beep fix finally

Hi Everyone who has been awaken over and over at 3am every morning with a beeping alarm system. I have a ADT system that was replaced by a broadview keypad system when they bought them out. At first, I realized that I could reset the breaker and the beep would always beep at that time. So, I reset every morning, and it was not that big a deal. Then, the system started beeping every 20 minutes and I'd have to reset it up to 4 times before it would go back to the regular cycle.

Tonight, I had had enough!!! I googled the problem and found everyone said there is no fix. I didn't believe this. SSSSOOOOOOOOOO I opened my broadview keypad (two places under the pad that you can stick a butter knife into and open up...carefully) I found the speaker. It is a round plastic piece with a hole in the middle to make the beep louder. Find the two plastic push pieces that hold the circuit board in the plastic container. lay the panel down and find the small hole on the bottom of the black round speaker container. Pry this upward gently with a sharp knife. Once this is done, take a small screwdriver and press it into the top hole of the black speaker (now only held on by 2 small wires to the circuit board), this will dislodge the speaker from the speaker casing. Now, set the black speaker container to the side (you won't need it anymore. Reset the circuit board into the keypad casing. Press the "Cancel" button on the pad and you will hear that the speaker is incredibly deminished. I pushed it downward, but not all the way to the base of the circuit board and then replaced it into the wall panel housing. Now, I can barely hear the beep when it happens. THIS i CAN LIVE WITH. I CANNOT HEAR IT UNLESS I AM RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT NOW. IT NEVER WAKES ME UP ANYMORE.

I hope this is helpful. I am confident that you can do this with any of the keypads on other models. I DID NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT ONE OF THE SPEAKER WIRES. I WAS AFRAID THAT THEY HAD A BACKUP FOR THIS AND THEN MY ALARM SYSTEM WOULD SOMEHOW BE DEACTIVATED. IF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO DO THIS, AND IT WORKS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WOULD LOVE TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT. ALTHOUGH, THIS IS A GREAT FIX FOR SURE.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 01-27-16, 09:25 PM
E
Another way to disable the ADT system from beeping when you end their service

I found another way to disable the constant beeping from the ADT system after I canceled their monitoring service. I just simply plugged the main security system board into an electric timer, then plugged the timer into the wall outlet.

I set the timer to turn off the ADT system during hours that I don't need it working such as right after I come home from work until I go to bed at night. All other times the timer is set to turn the ADT system on.

Problem solved. The system never beeped again. Now I have the use of the ADT system when I need it (when I am at work and when I go to bed at night) but I don't have to listen to that incessant beeping all the time which is ADT harassing me to pay for their stinking, overpriced monitoring service. Below is a link to the timer I used:

Robot Check

This is a good timer, but I found that after a couple of years it starts "ticking" loud enough to hear at night so I had to replace it. You may be able to buy a better timer. If so, go for it. If you can't find one, this one works fine. Just replace it in a couple years if it starts "ticking".

UP YOURS ADT!!!

Old 02-25-16, 12:46 PM
H
Beep fix

Hi guys. I was wondering if the trouble beep uses the same speaker as the door and window double beep. So if I use the fix above and damage the trouble speaker will I no longer hear the doors and widows activation? Thanks!

Old 02-25-16, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is only one audible device in the keypad. If you disable it.... there is NO sound from the keypad.

Old 03-23-16, 10:42 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to, but I at least wanted to share my kind-of-step-by-step instructions/photo gallery for installing a "speaker/piezo bypass switch."

I did this initially because with little ones in the house I didn't want to wake them on arming or disarming, and then eventually because we went to un-monitored (and no landline) and it does the daily beeping!

Broadview ADT Honeywell BHS-4000A keypad speaker switch - Album on Imgur

I should also note that when we do arm the alarm (leaving the house) I flip it back on so we get the beep to disarm it.

Last edited by structure7; 03-23-16 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Racerx143 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: