Hack old (flip) phone to act as cellular module for alarm panel

Old 02-19-16, 07:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hack old (flip) phone to act as cellular module for alarm panel

With all the hacks out here, I found some posts on the internet on how old phones were hacked into acting as a dialer. I have a few lying around that I'd like to test this out with.

From what I can tell, I'll need to hack power to the board and have some way for it to tie into the pots line.. Sounds easy enough, but how doable is something like this?

Old 02-19-16, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It sounds do-able and it is but it's not an easy task. You would be better looking for a forum that specializes in the type of phone you have as you'll get advice on the model you have.

Many years ago I customized Nextel phones for a customer. There was one at every building modified as a front door intercom. There were several execs that carried phones and could talk to any of the buildings. They could also unlock the door remotely. The electronics are very intricate and easily damaged during the modification process. I did ruin several of the Nextels during the mod process.

Old 02-19-16, 09:58 AM
A
not sure if i can post youtube links, but here is one example youtube/watch?v=C_JNbhaSI_c
All we would need (i think) is to connect the phone to the panel phone in contacts. Although somehow it would need to know to append the SEND command since a POTS line would have a dial tone and wouldn't need a send tone.

Old 02-19-16, 11:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If you are feeling up for the challenge, it's an interesting project.

There are a _couple_ of cellular solutions that allow the use of something like a prepaid SIM:

http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Pr...70I00-2_C3.pdf

or

United Security Products Cellular Dialer Wireless Security Systems

There's probably a few others.

Old 02-19-16, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
In that you tube link.... the alarm system is very basic. You need to know or decide what you want to see on the receiving phone. He shows a PIC microcomputer but I don't know what it's doing in that circuit.

It's easy to preprogram the cellular phone with your number. It would be easy to integrate your alarm to initiate a call. The problem is sending any type of usable (readable) data. It's not enough to know that your alarm is calling you..... you want to know why. That's where the PIC unit could be used. Also keep in mind that the phone you use for the alarm would require actual paid service just like any other phone accessing the cell networks.

Old 02-19-16, 04:26 PM
A
check out this device (WireX) youtube.com/watch?v=89WNl8KfeDo
manufactured in france, their website doesn't have pricing info, but it does show compatible with US cellular networks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: