Security system for detached garage

Old 02-25-16, 02:04 PM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Security system for detached garage

Hey guys, I need a security system for my 2 back windows plus my detached garage which has a side door, side window and front door. I am thinking alarm because security cameras is no protection in my opinion since thiefs simply has to wear a hoodie and you will never see their faces. Also a camera will not help after they've stolen your stuff.

I would need to control the alarm from inside the house, any ideas guys

Old 02-25-16, 02:36 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If you want to go cheap you can buy individual window and door trigger alarms. Or you can go with something like SimpliSafe. They are a low end monitoring service but can be used independent of their service and can be moved around or taken with you when and if you move. There are several other companies like them. Even the big box stores will sell a kit to do what you want. It all depends on the level of protection you need.

Old 02-25-16, 02:38 PM
M
Actually I am thinking this would be good for the back of the house windows?

Home Window Security Ultra Slim Vibration Alarm Alert Door Glass Break in 4 Pack | eBay

If yes then I would need something for the 3 garage entrances but I would need to control the alarms from within the house which is about 30' away from the detached garage.

Old 02-25-16, 02:44 PM
SimpliSafe affords that option via computer dashboard at their site. I keep referring to SimpliSafe because that is what I and several members of my family have. They are also very reasonable in terms of cost. They have glass breakage and motion sensors along with the magnetic trip alarms for windows and doors.

You say a camera won't be any good. Not so. Many cams will send an e-mail or set off an alarm as well as record a theft in progress.

Old 02-25-16, 04:00 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehende
I am thinking alarm because security cameras is no protection in my opinion since thiefs simply has to wear a hoodie and you will never see their faces. Also a camera will not help after they've stolen your stuff.

I tell customers that often a camera simply allows you to watch your things get stolen, trashed, etc.

A motion would give good coverage [but, only after they get in]. You could rig up a motion with a siren, a power supply and a disable switch. While you are at it you could add contacts to the circuit.

Old 02-25-16, 04:54 PM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I tell customers that often a camera simply allows you to watch your things get stolen, trashed, etc.
Alarms just let you know the things are getting stolen. They're not really protection either.

I wouldn't count on the cops making it before they've made off with you/your stuff.

Old 02-25-16, 09:30 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
Um, no. Not true. Statistically, the vast majority of intruders hightail it out of Dodge when an alarm sounds. There are exceptions, and having an alarm doesn't _absolutely_ guarantee that it will repel intruders, but it does give you good odds if an intruder trips your system on his way in.

A seat belt doesn't guarantee you'll survive an auto accident either. If you skid on ice in your SmartCar and swerve into an oncoming 18-wheeler at a relative speed of 150MPH, then seat belts probably won't keep you from being smashed into jelly and dying quickly. However, I wear my seat belts because they have an excellent chance of protecting me in lesser accidents, which the vast majority of auto accidents _are_. Seat belts have saved a lot more lives than they've failed to save.

Similarly, alarm systems have stopped a LOT more intruders than they've failed to stop. Moreover, an intruder who has tripped an alarm going into a place is--statistically, again--much less likely to return for another try, once he's learned that there's an actual alarm system there.
However, like seat belts, the alarm systems have to be _used_, to work. Most users who have alarm systems and got burglarized, were those who didn't bother to arm it.

I've been behind a few embarrassing scenarios like that: A user's system develops a falsing problem, and instead of getting it fixed, the user stops using/arming it; and some of those who do that eventually get burglarized.

As long as we're on the subject, there's the old myth that a burglar "who really wants to get in, won't be stopped by an alarm system." That's BS. Most burglars don't know how to circumvent a real alarm system. Those few who do know how are professional enough that they aren't going to burglarize a run-of-the-mill house, he's going after a big score. If you have something valuable enough to attract a real professional, you should NOT be looking for the cheapest way to protect it.

Old 02-25-16, 10:05 PM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
A burglar who wants in will put a gun to your head when your arriving and tell you to disarm the alarm, open the door and open the safe and you better hope you have the balls to put in the duress code.

The easiest way to get past a locked door is with a key.

Old 02-26-16, 03:18 AM
M
Either way, the way I see it, better to have the best protection that none. The detached garage is my main concern since I wont be able to put a keypad on the outside, how can I use a remote system in there?

Old 02-26-16, 04:38 AM
You keep asking the same question and we (I) keep giving you the same answer. Again SimpliSafe or others like it will give you what you are looking for. Remote access is possible. What kind of money are you willing to spend? What level of security are you looking for?

ChosunOne, I like your post. Well stated.

Old 02-26-16, 12:44 PM
M
I don't need a monitoring service as I am always at home 24/7, I just need a setup which will alert me if anyone tries to break into the garage.

Old 02-26-16, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Any of the major brand wireless systems will do the trick, even an all-in-one units, like a Lynx+ will do the trick if you add an external siren. You would have to arm/disarm with a keyfob if you want to control it from the house.

The only other option is to run wire from the house to the building.

Old 02-26-16, 01:46 PM
M
Not sure if I understand all of the terminology but I am thinking I will need to have 3 alarms placed inside the garage entrances but will need a wireless keypad to mount in the room closest to the end of the house to the garage so something like this should work?

Wireless LCD GSM SMS Home Security Burglar House Fire Alarm System Auto Dialer | eBay

I would just need to make sure it's RF frequency and would give me the range I will need.

Old 02-26-16, 02:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You need a contact/transmitter for each door/window that you want to protect, and the keypad/base station where you want it. You need at least one keyfob.

The system you linked to is, by any reasonable standard, going to be disappointing and difficult to work with. Stick with major brands like Honeywell, DSC, GE, etc. The Simplisafe that someone cited would work, but is probably way overkill for what you are trying to do.

Old 02-26-16, 03:01 PM
M
I am looking at the linx+ you had mentioned earlier and this is the honeywell brand I am finding:

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electro...CIwaAiWz8P8HAQ

I am seeing the control panel which will be located inside the house but what about what wireless devices which goes unto the entrances in the garage?

Old 02-26-16, 05:01 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
I found this package on eBay: If you're willing to take a used Lynx panel, it comes with everything else you need.
Honeywell Lynx Plus L3000 DIY Wireless Security Alarm Package w 5 New Sensors | eBay

The Lynx control/keypad is used, but I've had good luck buying used alarm equipment off eBay as long as the seller seems to understand alarm equipment, as this one does.

If the garage is only 30' from the house, the keypad/control/receiver should have no trouble receiving signals, unless your walls are really thick or have metal siding; so you could control it from within the house.

Old 02-27-16, 04:17 AM
M
Well that certainly narrows down what I will be needing and no I have no issues purchasing used with no issues and warranty, thanks for the link. I do have aluminum siding though so I will try contacting Honeywell to hear what they say.

Old 02-27-16, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Metal siding reduces the range, substantially (think "faraday cage" effect).

Old 02-28-16, 05:03 AM
M
There should be an alternative for the wireless issue. As one example, the only way I get internet in the garage is through a powerline adapter where the internet signal works via the electrical lines, I will look into this if the siding will be an issue, get back to you.

Old 02-28-16, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Why not hardwire to the garage? That is what I did for my shop that is about 50' from the house.

Old 02-28-16, 05:22 AM
M
The entire yard is concreted so I would need to cut the concrete to run lines underground.

Old 04-08-16, 08:48 AM
M
Guy who does installation for Honeywell just recommended the Lynx 5200:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Wire.../dp/B00LH18QDE

He said I should not have any problems since the garage has windows and the house has windows, that I should locate receiver and transmitter close to the windows and I should be fine as the RF frequencies will generate through the windows easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: