Bringing my pc1550 alarm back to life.

Old 03-01-16, 05:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bringing my pc1550 alarm back to life.

My alarm system has been off for 2 yrs. I think it might have taken a lightning strike. I want to troublle shoot and see if it still works or upgrade to a newer system. Where do i start.

Old 03-02-16, 02:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Start by checking for 16VAC on the first two terminals (lightning usually takes out the wall plug power supply). If you have power, there check the fuses on the top of the system board.

Old 03-02-16, 08:45 AM
J
Thank-you in advance for your support. Checked for power from supply, none 1. Something, will go to the local radio shack and pick up a new one. Checked fuses and they check out fine. Battery shows 1.8 volts, i assume when the power supply went out it drained the battery i know it is newer will it charge back, can i charge it with a low amp charger?

Old 03-02-16, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When a battery is pulled down below 5-6 volts it's about 60-40 that it won't take a charge, again, at least not a full one.

Old 03-02-16, 02:19 PM
J
Thank-you, no one in my one horse town had a power supply so i picked one from amazon should be here in a couple days. Let you know what other problems excist when i plug it in.

Old 04-03-16, 05:24 AM
J
Update MrRonFl, recieved power supply shortly after we talked. Installed and the system came to life and passed all tests. Thankyou. I have a couple other items. Does my 1500 system maintaine the charge in the battery, and if it does how can i check that. Also what is a good way to check my smokes to be sure the are functioning, with actual smoke? They are 20 yrs old should i replace? Thanks again!

Old 04-03-16, 09:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The alarm control charges the battery, it has an internal power supply that does the AC to DC conversion. The basic test for the condition of the battery, is once the system is in normal operation mode, disconnect the AC power and check the battery while it's under load supporting the system. If it maintains a good 12+ volt, under load, for at least a half hour, then the battery can be considered to be in decent shape. If you have a lot of active devices being supported by the battery (keypads, motions, glass breaks, system powered smokes, etc.), then the voltage drop may be faster.

If you have standard, residential grade smoke alarms (not connected to the system), at greater than 10 years old, their reliability is far past prime, by any objective measure. Even alarm system smokes, which are usually a higher initial quality, at 20 years are likely due for replacement.

You can get canned test "smoke" at any home center/hardware store. It's better than using real smoke, because it is less likely to permanently contaminate the sensing mechanism of the smoke.

Old 04-03-16, 05:13 PM
J
What do you recommend as a good replacement. 4 wire type, that doesnt break the bank. Thanks.

Old 04-04-16, 02:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My personal preference is the System Sensor models: https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/D...t_A05-0318.pdf

Old 04-05-16, 05:47 AM
J
Ok.! We are useing our system again and is working as first installed. Thank you for all you help. Greatwebsite, thanks for shareing your expertise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: